CHAPTER 24

Ajashakti strode through the labyrinthine corridors of the palace, his mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts. The words of Vakrang echoed in his mind, casting a shadow of doubt over his previously unwavering confidence. Behind him, his guards followed.

From the towering heights of the palace, he could see the courtyard below. A bustling activity was underway as Rakshasas and Danavas made final preparations for their departure. Their laughter and excited chatter reached his ears, a stark contrast to the somber mood that had enveloped him.

The image of the departing army, coupled with Vakrang's words, created a disturbing picture. Could this be a well-orchestrated plan by Indra, a calculated move to weaken their forces ?

Ajashakti's mind was now firmly entrenched in the possibility of Indra's treachery. The thought of his kingdom being manipulated by the gods filled him with a cold fury. As they reached the secluded inner quarters of the palace, the Antahpura, the guards halted, their duty bound by the king's decree. With a nod of dismissal, Ajashakti entered the private sanctuary, leaving his formidable protectors to guard the entrance. The heavy wooden door swung shut behind him, leaving him alone with his thoughts.

Ajashakti moved through the intricate corridors of the Antahpura, his footsteps echoing in the silent halls. As he passed by, maids and attendants, their eyes wide with a mix of awe and reverence, bowed low in respect.

Suddenly, the sounds of extremely sweet and melodious, laughter and giggles caught Ajashakti's attention. Intrigued, he walked over to the corridor railing and looked down, only to see Anugamini in the sprawling gardens, standing amidst the downpour. Her body, drenched to the skin, shimmered in the ethereal light, her hair a wild cascade of dark curls.

Ajashakti watched, mesmerized, as Anugamini's laughter filled the air. It was a sound he had never heard till now, a melody that soothed his troubled soul. All his worries, the doubts, the suspicions, seemed to fade into insignificance as he beheld the radiant beauty of his wife.

A surge of longing swept over Ajashakti as he watched Anugamini from above. Without a second thought, he descended the grand staircase, his steps echoing through the palace.

Reaching the ground floor, he leaned against a nearby pillar, his gaze fixed on Anugamini. Her laughter, like a sweet melody, filled the air, carrying with it a sense of carefree joy. As he watched her, a soft smile spread across his face, his heart melting under the warmth of her infectious happiness.

Ajashakti stood rooted to the spot, his heart pounding with a mixture of awe and adoration. Never had he seen someone as pure, as innocent as her. His gaze remained fixed on her, his eyes wide with wonder.

But this moment of perfect tranquility was shattered by the sudden appearance of a maid. Her eyes widened in surprise upon seeing Ajashakti, and she quickly bowed, her voice trembling slightly, "My King !"

Anugamini, startled by the maid's intrusion, turned around. Upon seeing Ajashakti, a gasp escaped her lips. Her face, previously flushed with the joy of the rain, now turned a shade of red.

Ajashakti's gaze flickered between the maid and Anugamini. With a subtle gesture, he dismissed the startled servant, a bit irritated that the moment was disrupted. His attention returned to Anugamini, whose eyes were wide with a mixture of surprise and fear.

Anugamini lowered her head, her cheeks flushing a deeper shade of crimson. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." She murmured.

Ajashakti's gaze lingered on her, his eyes drinking in the sight of her drenched form. The thin, wet fabric clung to her body, revealing tantalizing glimpses of her skin.

"There is no need to apologize," he replied, his voice low and husky.

Ajashakti removed the crown from his head and placed it gently on the damp ground. He stepped out into the rain, his gaze fixed on her.