Chapter 10

It was a quiet afternoon at the task force headquarters. Y/N had been going through some notes when Light entered the room. She glanced up and noticed the same calm, almost too perfect demeanor he always carried. It irritated her, the way he could be so relaxed while everyone else was on edge.

"Y/N," Light said, flashing a charming smile as he walked over to her desk. "You're working hard, as always. Impressive."

Y/N didn't bother looking up right away, but when she did, her gaze was sharp, studying him the way she always did. "Well, someone has to," she replied, her tone light but with an edge. "Can't all just breeze through everything, right?"

Light chuckled softly, unfazed by the jab. "I suppose you're right. Some of us make it look easy, though." He took a seat across from her, his posture casual, like he didn't have a care in the world.

"Yeah, you definitely make something look easy," Y/N said, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. Her eyes lingered on him, picking apart every move he made. "But I'm not sure it's the work part."

Light met her gaze, that perfect smile still in place. "You sound like you're suspicious of me."

"Should I be?" Y/N shot back, her eyes narrowing slightly. "You're Chief Yagami's son, the golden boy of the case. You wouldn't have anything to hide, right?"

Light leaned forward a little, resting his chin on his hand, his voice calm and smooth. "I don't know why you'd think that. I've been doing everything I can to help with the investigation."

"Mm-hmm," Y/N said, her eyes not leaving his. "You're just so... perfect, it's almost suspicious in itself."

Light laughed, the sound light and carefree, as if he wasn't the least bit fazed by her words. "I think you might be giving me too much credit. I'm just trying to do my part, that's all."

"Right," Y/N drawled, her fingers tapping lightly on the desk. "You're doing your part, and yet, Kira's still out there. Makes you wonder if someone's covering their tracks a little too well."

Light raised an eyebrow, his expression carefully neutral. "Are you saying you think I'm Kira?"

Y/N gave him a sly smile. "I'm saying that you're playing a pretty convincing innocent. But I'm not so easily fooled."

There was a brief pause before Light smiled again, his tone still light but with a hint of something darker underneath. "You know, Y/N, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were the one trying to fool me."

Y/N leaned forward slightly, her eyes challenging him. "Maybe I am. But if I were you, I'd be more worried about the truth slipping out."

Light's smile widened, but his eyes flickered with something colder. "The truth always comes out eventually. You just have to be patient."

"Patience isn't exactly my strong suit," Y/N said, her voice low and almost playful. "I prefer results."

"And I prefer not to rush to conclusions," Light responded smoothly, his eyes never leaving hers.

There was a charged silence between them, the air thick with tension. Neither of them backed down, their words veiled behind polite smiles and sharp, careful tones. It was a game, and Y/N could see that Light was enjoying it.

"You're very... confident, aren't you?" Y/N said, tilting her head slightly, her eyes studying him.

Light shrugged, his smile never faltering. "Confidence is important in a case like this. But I don't think I'm any more confident than you."

"Oh, I'm confident," Y/N said, her voice soft but pointed. "I'm confident that whoever Kira is, they're not as invincible as they think they are."

Light's expression didn't change, but there was a brief flicker of something in his eyes. "I guess we'll find out, won't we?"

"We will," Y/N replied, holding his gaze. "And when we do, I hope you're ready for the fallout."

Light chuckled, leaning back in his chair. "I'm always ready."

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "For everything?"

"Everything," Light said smoothly, his tone almost daring her to challenge him again.

Y/N leaned back, mirroring his posture. "You know, Light, you've got this way about you. Always so composed, always saying the right thing. It's almost too perfect."

"Is it?" Light asked, his tone still calm, as if nothing could touch him.

"Yeah, it is," Y/N said, her eyes narrowing slightly. "It's like you're playing a role."

Light's smile didn't waver. "I could say the same about you."

Y/N laughed softly, shaking her head. "Oh, I don't play roles. I'm pretty straightforward."

"I don't know," Light said, his tone thoughtful. "You seem like someone who enjoys playing games."

"Only when I know I'm going to win," Y/N shot back, her smile sharp.

Light's eyes glinted with amusement. "And you think you'll win this one?"

Y/N didn't hesitate. "I know I will."

Light leaned forward again, his voice dropping slightly. "I admire your confidence."

"And I admire your ability to act innocent," Y/N said, her voice just as low, her smile not quite reaching her eyes.

For a moment, they just stared at each other, the air between them thick with unspoken words. It was a dance, each of them trying to get under the other's skin, to see who would slip up first.

Light finally broke the silence, standing up with that same effortless grace. "Well, I should get going. Lots of work to do."

Y/N didn't move, just watched him carefully. "Of course. Can't keep Kira waiting, right?"

Light's smile faltered for the briefest of moments before it was back, smooth as ever. "Right."

He gave her a polite nod before walking out of the office, leaving Y/N alone at her desk, her mind racing. She watched him leave, the wheels turning in her head. She knew she had gotten under his skin, even if he hadn't shown it. There was something off about him, and she wasn't about to let it go.

As soon as the door closed behind him, she let out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. Light Yagami was smooth, she'd give him that, but he wasn't as invincible as he thought. Not to her.

Y/N sat back in her chair, a small smile playing on her lips. "Got you," she muttered to herself. She could feel it now. He was hiding something, and it was only a matter of time before she exposed it.

A/N~ The tension you guys...