Chapter 6

It was just another day in the bustling city, and Y/N decided to take a break from the intense Kira case. The constant stress was getting to her, and she figured a quiet café would be the perfect spot to unwind. Little did she know, this was about to turn into a far more eventful day than she had anticipated.

Y/N walked into the café, the warm aroma of coffee and fresh pastries wrapping around her like a comforting blanket. She spotted a corner table, hoping for a bit of solitude. As she settled into her seat and began browsing through the menu, she noticed a familiar figure walking in: Light Yagami.

Her heart skipped a beat. It wasn't like she was avoiding him, but the last thing she expected was to bump into him here. Light's sharp eyes quickly found hers, and he approached her table with that all-too-familiar charm.

"Y/N, fancy seeing you here," Light said smoothly as he sat down across from her. His smile was genuine, but there was a glint in his eye that made Y/N's gut twist.

"Light," Y/N replied with a friendly, if slightly guarded, smile. "What a coincidence. I didn't expect to see you here."

Light chuckled softly, leaning back in his chair. "Yeah, small world. Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," Y/N said, trying to keep her tone casual. "I could use some company."

They chatted about mundane things at first, the conversation flowing easily. Light was as charming as ever, his words smooth and his laughter infectious. Y/N played along, but she couldn't shake the nagging feeling that there was more to this chance meeting than met the eye.

At one point during their conversation, Light mentioned something offhand that caught Y/N's attention. "You know, it's funny how sometimes the most unexpected encounters can lead to the most interesting discoveries," Light said with a meaningful look.

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "Interesting discoveries? Are you implying something?"

Light's smile didn't waver. "Oh, nothing specific. Just a philosophical thought. But sometimes, even random meetings can have a purpose, don't you think?"

Y/N's curiosity was piqued. She noted the slip-up in Light's words and wondered what he was really trying to say. Was this whole thing just a coincidence, or was Light trying to get something out of her?

As they wrapped up their coffee and Light excused himself, Y/N watched him leave, her mind racing. There was something about that encounter that didn't sit right with her. Was Light really just running into her by chance, or was there more to it?

Later that evening, Y/N stormed into L's office with a sense of urgency. L was hunched over his desk, surrounded by piles of papers and notes. His focus was entirely on his work, but he looked up as Y/N burst in.

"I need to talk to you about Light Yagami," Y/N said, her voice edged with frustration. "I just ran into him at a café, and something about it was off. He acted like it was some kind of setup, even though he played it off like a coincidence."

L raised an eyebrow, his expression unreadable. "I'm not interested in your little date with Light. What's more important is the progress of the case."

Y/N's eyes narrowed. "Jealous, are we? I thought you'd be more interested in the fact that Light was trying to make it look like a random encounter. It seemed pretty intentional to me. Why would he do that?"

L's interest was piqued by her comment. He straightened up, giving her his full attention. "Go on."

Y/N took a deep breath, her mind racing as she spilled every detail of the encounter. "He was way too smooth about it. The way he talked, the things he said—it was like he was trying to gauge my reactions. And then there was this line about 'unexpected encounters' and 'discoveries.' I don't know, but it felt like he was trying to get something from me. Not only that, but he's too soft spoken, too predictable, his moves are planned. As if he's making sure that he doesn't fuck up."

L listened intently, his eyes narrowing in thought. "That's interesting. Light Yagami is a key suspect, and any unusual behavior should be noted. But remember, you're not part of our team. You're still a suspect yourself."

Y/N was taken aback. "What? Are you serious? You're saying my suspicion level is higher than Light's?"

L's gaze was steady. "According to our analysis, yes. Light's current suspicion level is around 7%. Yours is slightly higher at 9%."

Y/N's eyes widened in shock. "9%? Are you fucking kidding me? I've been working my ass off to help, and you think I'm more suspicious than Light?"

L's expression remained impassive. "It's nothing personal."

Feeling a surge of anger and frustration, Y/N stormed out of L's office. The thought of being more suspicious than Light while working her hardest to prove her worth was infuriating. She slammed the door behind her, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts.

As she walked away, Y/N couldn't shake the feeling that the encounter with Light was just the beginning. If he was trying to play games, then she would have to be even more vigilant. The investigation was far from over, and every interaction could be a clue.