The Thirteenth Pt.1/Ch.7

(1889 words)

September 12, 2024

Gracie's POV

A lot of people know that my mom's favorite number is 13. Her whole life is planned around the number I swear. She was born on the 13th of December, and who would've thought that I'd be born on the 13th too because of course...

As I'm out for dinner with my mom the day before my 13th birthday, I can't help but laugh.

"Can you believe I'm turning thirteen. On the 13th?" I laugh.

"Oh, don't remind me, I promise it wasn't on purpose." She answers. We ate for a while before deciding to take a walk around the beautiful plaza, which was lit with twinkling lights. Then suddenly my mom stopped in her tracks and hugged me.

"My baby girl is not going to be a baby anymore." She cries into my shoulder. I should've known this was coming. I let her have her moment and rubbed her back.

"I'll always be your first baby mom..."

"You're all grown up now though." She pulls back and holds my face. "In a blink of an eye you'll be going off to college and I don't know if I can handle that, let alone this."

"I'm not going to college for another five years mom." I sarcastically roll my eyes as we keep walking.

"It will go by so fast. It always does. Then you won't need me anymore." She sobs.

"I'll always need you mom. I promise."

We walked around the plaza for a few more minutes talking to each other before we headed home.

When we got home it was really dark and quiet which makes sense when you have two little sisters who go to bed before it gets dark (well supposed too). I went to my room to take a long shower (aka everything shower ;)) and when I got out, I changed into my silk pink pajamas that my mom had surprised me with today as an early birthday gift. I walked downstairs to my mom's room where she and Travis were sitting in their bed watching a show.

"Hey mom? I'm ready for you to do my hair if you're still up for it." I spoke.

"Of course, baby, go sit down in the bathroom, I'll be right there!" She responded, watching the television.

My mom walked in with another gift in her hands.

"Okay, I know I promised to not go too overboard, but I thought you might like to use this before tomorrow." She winked at me.

She nudged forward. "Go ahead. Open it! I'll start on your hair."

I slowly unwrapped the box and OH MY GOD. SHE GOT ME GLOW RECIPE??!!

"OH MY GOSH NO WAY!!" I screamed.

"Shhhhh shhhh, you don't want to wake your sisters," She laughed.

"I can't believe you actually got it." I whispered to her.

"I know my ways." She winks. "Enjoy it baby."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, mom"

"Of course, sweetheart, I love you."

"Love you too."

After my mom finished curling my hair, we both walked upstairs to my room and sat on the bed together. My mom has this tradition where on the night before one of our birthdays she'll tuck us in bed and get in with us and read us a story then cuddle with us until we fall asleep. She also takes a picture with the two of us each time so we can look back on the memories.

After she reads me a children's book, she rubs soft circles on my back and kisses my face 12 times. I slowly fall asleep in the dimly lit room, wrapped in my mother's love.