17 - Present

Thanksgiving was just around the corner, and the mall was bustling with energy. I had to admit, it felt nice to be out shopping with Emma and Kristie again. There was something comforting about the holiday crowds, the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin spice floating in the air, and the soft hum of Christmas music already starting to sneak its way through the speakers.

We had been bouncing between stores for hours, grabbing ingredients and decorations for the big day. Thanksgiving this year was going to be at Kristie's place, and I was looking forward to it. A warm, cozy celebration with friends sounded like just what I needed after the rollercoaster of emotions this past year had thrown at me.

"Let's grab a coffee before we hit the next store," Emma suggested, eyeing the café across the way.

I nodded in agreement, feeling the need for a caffeine boost. Kristie, on the other hand, crinkled her nose in her usual way.

"Coffee? No thanks, you two can enjoy that bitter stuff. I'm getting an avocado smoothie," she announced with a grin.

"Of course you are," Emma teased as we headed toward the café. "You and your weird smoothie obsession."

Kristie just shrugged, unapologetic as ever. We all placed our orders, and soon enough, we found ourselves seated at a small table near the window. I sipped my caramel macchiato while Emma stirred her latte. 

Kristie was already halfway through her smoothie, making exaggerated "mmm" sounds that had us both rolling our eyes.

It felt good to laugh with them like this. For a moment, I almost forgot about everything else—the heartbreak, the memories, the nights spent wondering how things had gone so wrong. But, of course, my peace didn't last long.

"So," Emma began, glancing at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes, "Caine's coming to Thanksgiving. And he's bringing his friend."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Who's this friend?"

"His name's Elijah," Emma continued, taking a sip of her drink. "He's an architect, runs a family business. Really successful guy."

I could already feel where this was heading, and I wasn't in the mood for it. "Uh-huh. And?"

Kristie, never one to miss an opportunity, nudged me playfully. "And... he's single."

I groaned inwardly. "You're trying to set me up, aren't you?"

Emma shot me a sweet but guilty smile. "Well, I wouldn't call it a 'set-up.' Just... a casual introduction."

"Right," I muttered, leaning back in my chair. "You two do realize I'm not exactly looking for a relationship right now, right?"

Kristie grinned like the Cheshire cat, clearly unfazed by my reluctance. "Sophie, Elijah is handsome. Like, seriously hot."