34

The house was perfect, there was no denying that. As Elijah and I roamed from room to room, I could feel the excitement radiating off him. His eyes would light up every time he described what he could do with each space. His energy was contagious, making it easy to get lost in the fantasy of what this house could become. A fresh start for him, maybe even for me too—if only things were that simple.

"So, what do you think of the kitchen?" Elijah asked, breaking into my thoughts as we stepped into the large, open space. 

The light poured in from the wide windows, casting a warm glow over the countertops.

"It's beautiful," I said truthfully, running my hand along the marble. "You could have some amazing dinner parties here."

Elijah smiled at me, but there was something different in his eyes. It wasn't just the excitement of the house. It was something deeper, more vulnerable, and I felt my stomach tighten in anticipation of what was coming.

He paused, standing in the middle of the kitchen, looking at me seriously now. 

"Sophie, there's something I need to tell you," he started, his voice calm but carrying a weight that made my heart skip a beat.

I swallowed, already knowing this conversation was going to be a difficult one. 

"What's up?" I asked, trying to keep my tone light, but the tension was building between us.

He took a step closer, his eyes never leaving mine. "I like you, Sophie. A lot."

I blinked, feeling my heart race in response. I knew it was coming, had sensed his feelings for a while now, but hearing him say it out loud brought a rush of emotions I wasn't ready for.

"Elijah..." I started, but he held up his hand gently, stopping me.

"I know, I know," he said quickly. "I don't want to make things weird between us, but I have to be honest. The moment we had ice cream on Thanksgiving, I knew. You're the one for me."

His words hung in the air, thick with meaning. I felt a lump form in my throat. That Thanksgiving had been special, a day that I had held onto as a precious memory, but I hadn't realized it had affected him this deeply.

"Elijah..." I repeated, my voice softer now. 

"I don't want to rush into anything. Especially with... everything."

He furrowed his brow, clearly sensing that there was more to my hesitation than just caution.

 "What do you mean by 'everything'? Is there something you're not telling me?"

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair as I leaned against the counter. This wasn't how I had planned to tell him, but I couldn't keep it hidden any longer. He deserved to know the truth.

"It's Gavin," I said quietly, watching his face for a reaction. "He's been... showing up a lot lately."