14

The sun was barely setting as we sat through our last subject of the day. My sunglasses were still on, and I could feel the weight of my friends' worried glances. We were working on a project about visual arts, something I should've been excited about, but I wasn't even close to finishing. 

Every time I picked up my brush or tried to sketch, my mind was clouded, and the art just... wasn't there.

Our professor called my name, pulling me back to reality. I could hear my heart racing in my chest as I stood up and pushed the sunglasses higher up my nose. 

"Sophie, your turn to present," she said, her voice firm yet patient, as though she already knew my answer.

"I'm... I'm not done yet," I muttered, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks. My hands were clammy as I gripped the edge of the desk, my legs barely supporting me.

Her disappointment was palpable. She paused for a moment, clearly trying to choose her words carefully. 

"Sophie, this is not like you. You're talented, but recently, your projects have been late, incomplete, or lackluster. What's going on?"

I didn't have an answer, at least not one I was willing to share. How could I tell her that everything in my life was falling apart? That I was failing in more ways than just my art?

"I'm really sorry. Please, give me another chance," I pleaded, my voice trembling. "I'll finish it and present it next time."

Her eyes softened for a moment before she sighed. "Alright, Sophie. But this is your last chance. You need to pull it together, or you will fail this class."

I nodded, relief mixing with the overwhelming dread that lingered in my chest. I knew she was right. I had to get my act together.

As soon as the class was dismissed, Emma and Kristie were by my side, walking with me out of the classroom. I didn't need to say anything; they already knew. Emma grabbed my arm gently, pulling me aside as Kristie kept a watchful eye on the surrounding students.

"Sophie, you need to get your head in the game," Emma whispered urgently. "If you keep this up, you're going to fail. You've already missed so many classes, and now this? What's going on?"

"I know," I whispered, feeling the tears threaten to spill over. "I know, but it's hard. Everything with Gavin... it's just—it's overwhelming."

"You can't keep letting him drag you down like this," Kristie chimed in, her voice a mix of frustration and concern. "You have to start thinking about yourself. If you don't, no one else will."

They were right, and I knew it. But no matter how hard I tried, it felt impossible to pull myself out of the mess I was in. Gavin had become this constant storm in my life, and I couldn't seem to find shelter from him.

We walked toward the parking area in silence, the weight of my unspoken worries pressing down on us like a heavy blanket. Emma was driving us home, but just as we neared her car, we saw a familiar figure by the motorcycle parked near the entrance.It was Gavin.