27

The late afternoon sun stretched across the park, casting everything in a golden light. It was peaceful here, much like the feeling I used to get when I was deep in my work. I hadn't been back to this park in months, and today, with my iPad in hand, I hoped the familiar space would help me find some clarity.

Sitting under the large tree, I let the quiet surroundings ease my mind. My fingers grazed the iPad screen as I sketched absentmindedly, unsure of what exactly I wanted to create. Just something to take my mind off the chaos of the last few days.

But as soon as I started to get into the flow, I noticed a shadow in front of me. I glanced up, and there he was—Gavin.

For a moment, I thought back to the last time I saw him, when he'd unexpectedly shown up at my studio, standing in the doorway with that same uncertain look on his face. That was weeks ago, and I thought I'd buried the feelings from that day. But seeing him now, standing in front of me in this quiet park, brought everything rushing back.

"Hey," he said softly, his voice careful, like he didn't want to disturb me too much. "Mind if I sit?"

I hesitated, not sure if I wanted him here. The last time we'd talked, it had been too emotional. Too raw. But I nodded anyway, unable to find the words to say no.

Gavin sat down beside me, leaving a respectful gap between us. He laid his guitar case on the grass next to him and leaned back against the tree, looking up at the sky. For a moment, it was like we were just two old friends sitting together, but I knew better.

"Is that the same iPad I got you?" he asked, pointing to the device in my lap. His voice was filled with nostalgia, and I could sense he was trying to find a way to connect.

I nodded. "Yeah," I said softly. "I still use it for my sketches."

He smiled a little, his eyes flickering with something I couldn't quite read. "I'm glad," he said. "You always were so talented."

I didn't respond, focusing on the lines forming on the screen in front of me. My heart was still pounding in my chest, and I wasn't sure what to do with all the emotions swirling inside me. It had been weeks since that night in the studio when Gavin had apologized, when he'd tried to explain himself. Since then, I had tried to push him out of my mind, telling myself that I had moved on.

But now, sitting here with him, it felt like no time had passed at all.

"I've been thinking about that day," Gavin said quietly, as if reading my mind. "The day I showed up at your studio."

I swallowed hard, remembering the way he had looked at me, the way he had told me he regretted everything. "Yeah?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

"I know I hurt you, Sophie," he continued, his voice thick with emotion. "And I'll never stop regretting that. But I want you to know that I've been working on myself. I'm trying to be better."

I sighed, placing the iPad beside me. I couldn't focus on sketching anymore. "You already said that, Gavin," I replied, my voice steady but laced with the pain I still carried. 

"You came to my studio, apologized, said you wanted to fix things... but I can't just forget everything that happened."

"I'm not asking you to forget," Gavin said quickly. "I know I can't change the past. But I want to try to be the person you deserve. I still love you, Sophie."

Those words hit me like a punch to the gut. I wasn't sure if I was ready to hear them again, not after everything. My heart felt torn between the memories of who we used to be and the reality of what had happened between us.

"You can't just say that," I whispered, shaking my head as I tried to process everything. "You can't just show up again, say you love me, and expect things to go back to the way they were."

Gavin leaned forward, his expression earnest. "I don't expect that. I know it's not that simple. But I can't hide how I feel, Sophie. I've been trying to get better for you—for us. I've made mistakes, but I want to make things right."

I stared at him, unsure of what to say. Part of me wanted to believe him, to give in to the hope that maybe he had changed, that maybe we could find our way back to each other. But another part of me— the part that remembered all the pain and betrayal—wasn't ready to trust him again.

"Gavin," I began, trying to steady my voice, "I don't know if I can do this. I don't know if I can trust you again after everything."

He nodded, looking down at the grass. "I understand. I know it's going to take time, and I don't expect you to forgive me right away. But I'm willing to wait. I'll wait as long as it takes, Sophie. I just want you to know that I'm still here."

The sincerity in his voice made my heart ache. I wanted to believe him, to believe that he was truly trying to change. But the scars from our past still ran deep, and I wasn't sure if I was ready to let him back in.

We sat in silence for a long time, the tension between us heavy but not unbearable. It was as if we were both waiting for the other to say something, to break the fragile peace that had settled over us.

Finally, Gavin stood up, brushing off his jeans. "I should go," he said softly, slinging his guitar case over his shoulder. 

"But I meant what I said. I'm here, Sophie. And I'll keep trying, no matter how long it takes."

I watched as he walked away, his figure growing smaller in the distance. My heart felt heavy, torn between the past and the possibility of a future with him. I wasn't ready to make a decision, not yet. There was too much to process, too much I still needed to figure out.

As I picked up my iPad again, I realized that the sketch I had been working on was now just a jumbled mess of lines and shapes. I sighed, closing the device and leaning back against the tree.Maybe one day I would be able to sort through all of these emotions. Maybe one day I could find a way to forgive Gavin, to let him back into my life. But today wasn't that day. Today, I needed to focus on myself.And for now, that was enough.