42

Note: Mature Content!

I sat at my desk, staring at the painting that had been hanging in my office for months. It was my most recent piece, one that I'd poured my heart into after everything with Gavin. The vibrant colors swirled together in a chaotic yet beautiful dance, much like my life had been this past year. I had always held onto this painting as a reminder of how far I had come, but now... now it felt like it was time to let go. Maybe letting go of this piece would help me move forward.

I grabbed my phone and typed out a quick message to Elijah.

"Hey, I'm in my office. You can come by if you're free."

Before I could dwell on it any longer, I called for Timothy, one of my employees, to come to my office. A few seconds later, I heard a knock on the door. Timothy walked in with a polite smile.

"Hey, Timothy," I greeted, glancing over at the painting. "Can you take that down and bring it to the gallery? I think it's time to sell it."

Timothy's eyes flicked to the painting, and he nodded, always eager to help. "Of course, Sophie. I'll take care of it right away."

He carefully lifted the painting off the wall, carrying it with a sense of reverence. I watched him walk out the door, feeling an odd sense of relief. It was like I was shedding a layer of my past, leaving behind a version of me that I no longer recognized.

My phone buzzed, pulling me out of my thoughts. It was Elijah.

"I'll be there in a few minutes."

My heart skipped a beat. I wasn't sure if it was excitement or anxiety—maybe a mix of both. Elijah had been a constant presence in my life, always there when I needed someone to lean on. And though I hadn't been entirely honest with him about everything that had happened with Gavin, I knew that he deserved the truth. Maybe today was the day I'd finally tell him.

I stood up and walked out of my office, heading toward the front counter where Grace was working. She looked up from the computer, flashing me a bright smile.

"Hey, Grace. I just wanted to let you know I'm expecting a visitor in my office. Please don't let anyone disturb us," I said, trying to keep my tone casual.

Grace raised an eyebrow, her smile turning mischievous. "Got it. No interruptions. Must be important."

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help smiling back. "Thanks."

With that, I returned to my office, closing the door behind me. I stood in front of the mirror, suddenly feeling a wave of nerves wash over me. Why was I so worked up about this? It wasn't like it was the first time Elijah and I had spent time together. But today, something felt different. There was a tension in the air that I couldn't quite shake.

I glanced at my reflection, smoothing down my skirt and running my fingers through my hair. On impulse, I applied a fresh layer of lipstick, then tugged my skirt a little higher, making my legs look longer. I adjusted my sleeveless top, pulling it down just enough to accentuate my chest. For a moment, I stared at myself in the mirror, confused by what I was doing.