38

Eleanor and I sat beside Gavin, the soft beeping of the heart monitor filling the quiet room. His hand lay motionless on the bed, and I found myself staring at his face, searching for any sign of movement, any indication that he might open his eyes soon. The hospital room was sterile, cold, a far cry from the warmth Gavin used to bring into my life.

Eleanor broke the silence, her voice quiet yet hopeful. "He's going to pull through, Sophie. He's strong. He'll come back to us."

I nodded, unsure if I believed her or if I was just holding onto those words because they were all I had left. I glanced at Eleanor, and the pain in her eyes mirrored mine. She was doing her best to stay positive, but I could see the fear lurking just beneath the surface.

Emma had left to run some errands at her art studio, and it was just me and Eleanor now, keeping watch. I leaned back in the chair, my thoughts drifting. Seeing Gavin like this brought back so many memories—both good and bad. But the good ones... the ones that made me smile, those were the ones I clung to now. Memories of when we were happy, when everything felt perfect.

--------------------------------------------

Flashback

It was my birthday. A day I had looked forward to, though I hadn't expected much. I had always been the type who preferred low-key celebrations—dinner with a few close friends, a quiet evening. Nothing too extravagant. 

But Emma and Katie, as always, had other plans. They knew me well enough to avoid anything big or flashy, but they couldn't resist making it special in their own way. I had just come from my parents' house, where we had a simple lunch to celebrate. It was nice, calm, and just the kind of low-key start I wanted for my birthday. I had planned to spend the evening at my apartment, maybe have a quiet dinner with Gavin. 

But as soon as I opened the door to my place, the lights flicked on, and a chorus of voices shouted, "Happy Birthday!"

I froze, completely taken by surprise. The room was decorated with balloons, and a small banner hung above the couch that read Happy Birthday, Sophie! My heart swelled with joy, and I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. 

Katie stood in the middle of the room, grinning widely, while holding a cake, and Emma was beside her, lighting the candles. Owen, Katie's boyfriend, was there, giving me a wave, and Emma's new boyfriend, Caine, who I had heard so much about but hadn't met yet, smiled warmly at me. But my eyes quickly found Gavin, standing a few feet away, his face lighting up when he saw me. 

He always looked at me like that—as if I were the only person in the room. Katie was holding the cake, and Emma had finished lighting the candle. But before I could make a wish, I felt Gavin's arms wrap around me from behind, his breath warm against my ear as he whispered, 

"Happy birthday, my Angel." I smiled, my heart swelling with affection for him. He called me Angel often, telling me I was a gift from God, something precious in his life. It was one of the many little things he did that made me feel special.

"Make a wish and blow out the candle already!" Emma said, rolling her eyes dramatically. "Before the wax melts all over the cake."

I laughed, closing my eyes and making a wish before blowing out the candles. When I opened them, Gavin was standing in front of me now, his hands resting on my waist as he leaned in to kiss me softly on the lips.

"Happy birthday again," he whispered, his smile warm and full of love. 

Emma groaned. "Ugh, stop kissing! We get it, you two are madly in love, but some of us are trying to keep our dinner down."