Chapter 12: The mall

Since it was Sunday and Melissa, Callie, and, Bryan were at another charity event/ whatever filthy rich people meeting they had to attend to, I decided to invite Jack over again.

About thirty seconds later we were in my room eating popcorn and trying to figure out the hippie machine. ( I f you didn't understand that, pls refer back to my outrage in Saturday)

"I don't get it. If it's not a flash drive, then what is it?" Jack asked, putting a handful of popcorn in his mouth. I shrugged, I almost gave up on that stupid thing.

Almost.

I decided to call Alex, our techie at the agency and ask her.

"It could be some sort of key, or maybe it would fit into a smaller port for perhaps and older computer." She said. I just thanked her and hung up.

"Anything?"

"Nothing. And we still don't know why the school wanted to cover up the murder." I said putting my hand to my chin.

"Well, didn't you say Chance knew about? Ask him." I could tell that Jack wasn't still entirely okay with me and Chance thing.

I shook my head. "He had to go to Chicago for his Dad's work convention thingy." I said shaving my hand back in forth.

"Well, we haven't gotten any new evidence..." Jack said trailing off at the end.
I sighed in frustration. This was the longest mission I had ever been on. This was the longest time it took us to find new evidence.

"Well, what do we do?" I ask looking over at Jack.

"What normal kids do." He said shrugging.

Normal? I don't think I've ever heard that word before. Please not the sarcasm flowing through my words as I say that.

"You mean go to parties, get drunk, get arrested, or watch Netflix all day?" I asked not entirely kidding.

"We could just go to the mall." He said smiling.

Now we were talking. And don't get me wrong, I love snuggling up in my blanket and binge watching Orange is the New Black all day, but how could I resist an offer to the mall.

The mall. Where the hopes and dreams of every teenage girl are located.

I was in. "Why not? What's the point in having a unlimited credit card from the agency?
And I know I know I should be working on the case and solving the murder and karma will bite me in the ass later on, but the mall.

The mall folks.

~

Once Jack and I got back from the mall, I now had one leather jacket, two new pairs of converse and a whole lot fries from Chick Fillet.
What? I'm a teenage girl who needs carbs. Sue me.

Anyways Jack and I knew that we had to look into the murder so we both cracked open our laptops and searched and searched.

I searched for anything that explained the whole hippie machine.

(And yes that's what Jack and I call the flash drive now)

And Jack hacked into the schools files and searched for Synthia Winters.
"Jeez, this school really is protected, they have fire walls upon fire walls, ciphers upon ciphers, it's like playing Kenya each time you press a key!" He said, but with the blaring sound of "Can't Buy Me Love" playing throughout my room it sounded more like "tiedndiendnfnekcowoeancdjeocoowncs"

I'm sure you could understand the struggle.

"WHAT?" I yell over the music.
"Hold on." Jack said but I still couldn't understand.

"WHAT?" I yell again.

"HOLD ON!" He yells as he turns the volume down.

"I said, it's really hard to hack into the files." He said not looking up from the screen.
I looked at my watch. It read 8:59.

"You should go, it's getting late." I said. He nodded and then five minutes later left.

Note
Sorry for the boring chapter. I just wanted to write something before I settle down for the night. And by the way, I think I've might have temporarily blinded myself because I've been on my phone for nearly the whole day, sooooooooo I'll just go now.