Chapter 3 : The Winters

Chapter 3

I looked over at Jack. He smiled and saluted to me. I saluted back. I took a deep shaky breath and knocked on the big oak door. A man opened the door. He was wearing a suit with a black tie.
I recognized his face instantly. Bryan Winters. I tried to stay calm and remind myself that this was for Synthia.
"Hi, you must be Scarlett," He said. I nodded. "Please come in." I smiled and grabbed my suitcase and walked through the the door.

The room was so freaking huge. And that was only the living room.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Winters." I breathe.  "Call me Bryan, it's very nice if you to do this for us."

I nodded back. I took notice that even though he smiling, his voice sounded sad.

"I'm really sorry for your loss." I said.  He nodded at me.

"Come along, I'll show you the family. I picked up my suitcase and followed him to a big leather couch. There was a Melissa Winters a black dress. She was gorgeous, her hair was a bright red, her skin was smooth, her makeup done perfectly. Next to her was probably Callie, Synthia's  little sister. Her hair was just as bright as her mothers, except she didn't have any makeup on. Her eyes were a little watery and puffy.

"This is Melissa and Callie." Bryan said. Melissa stood up. I was originally going for polite handshake but she pulled me into a hug.

I hesitated for a second and hugged her back. "Thank you so much for doing this. Synthia would appreciate it." She whispered. She finally let go and Callie stood up.

She too gave me a hug.

"Thanks for doing this." She whispered as she wiped some tears off her cheek.
I nodded and sat down in the seat next to Bryan. "Listen I'm very sorry about Synthia, but I do promise that were here to solve this." I said reassuringly.

"We?" Melissa asked.

"My partner, his name is Jack, he's staying with the Drake Family to assist me." I said looking through the window at the house next door.

"Oh my God, I forgot, Synthia and David were good friends!" Bryan said shaking his head dismissively.

I nodded in response. I made sure to bring that up to Jack.

"Is there anyone who had something against Synthia, like someone at school or a teacher?" I asked as softly as I could.
"Theo." I turned and saw Callie look up at me. "Who's Theo?" I asked Callie.

"He was Synthia's ex - boyfrind, they broke up at least three months ago." Bryan said angrily. "May I ask why they broke up?" I asked.

"He cheated on her." Melissa said with a hint of disgust in her voice. I nodded. "Does she have any ene-" I was cut off as soon as Melissa burst into tears.

"I'm sorry...I just can't do this now." She said in between sobs.

Bryan held his hand out and she cried I to his shoulder. "Maybe we could continue this after school o during dinner Scarlett." Bryan said and then led Melissa out of the kitchen.

"Callie show Scarlett her room." Bryan called out. She nodded and stood up. 

I followed her up a big spiral start case and inti a long corridor on the descended floor. We finally stopped at the last wooden door.

I looked around and counted six rooms. "Who's stays in that room?" I ask pointing to the one across from mine. Callie looked up sadly.

"That was my brothers room. Mikey. He passed away a couple years ago," She said covering her eyes for a second.

She opened the door and I walked in. "Thanks" I whispered as I closed the door.

The room was amazing. It was probably the size of my living room and kitchen put together.

In the corner was a king sized bed, the sheets were white with a lot of pillows and throw pillows. There was a white door a couple of feet away. I walked over and opened it. There was a clear shower, a bathtub and a sink.
Right next to the bed was a shelf filled with books.  Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens.

The book case was at least 10 feet long. Across the room was a whit dresser. I looked at my reflection. My brown long hair was already coming out of it braid.

There were little dark circles under my eyes from studying cases, and my I could see part of birth mark peeking out of my shirt. I turned away and started unpacking my stuff. I took a gun, made sure the safety mode was on and slipped it under my pillow. I unpacked my clothes and put them in all the drawers if the big white dresser. Just then I heard my phone ring.

Duh duh dun. Duh duh dun. The Star Wars theme song ran through the air.

"Yes?" I asked recognizing it was Jacks number.

"Everything going good?"

"Yeah, got some info about Synthia, oh you know that the kid that lives there -"

"David?" Jack cut in.

"Yeah, Synthia and him were really good friends."

"I know." He said

"Did they tell you?" I asked

"Nah, it was David he said they were really close or something." I nodded.

"What time does school start?" I asked or whined would be a better description.

"7:00 bright and early!"

As if solving a murder isn't hard enough.