chapter 19

Anya was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, her thoughts racing. She couldn’t shake the uneasy feeling about Dushala’s marriage to King Jayadrath. Sure, Dushala had agreed to it, but Anya knew it was only because of her brother, Duryodhana—*the rude fox,* as Anya affectionately referred to him. “That cunning fox and his humped mama... why couldn’t they find anyone better for her? She deserves more than Jayadrath,” Anya muttered to herself, puffing out her cheeks in frustration.

Suddenly, an idea struck her. “Wait a minute... what if I find her a better husband? Then that fox and his sneaky uncle won’t have a choice but to let her marry someone else! Brilliant, Anya, brilliant!” She clapped her hands in excitement but quickly realized a problem. “But... how do I find the perfect man? Oh! Of course, I’ll ask Kunti Maa and Draupadi for help. They know all the princes in Aryavart. Yes, yes, I’ll pretend I’m looking for a husband for *myself*... genius!”

The next morning, Anya marched confidently to find Kunti and Draupadi. She spotted them chatting with Subhadra and Dushala, and immediately interrupted, her face bright with determination.

“Kunti Maa! Draupadi! I’ve decided!” Anya announced with exaggerated enthusiasm, her hands on her hips.

The women blinked at her in surprise. “Decided? About what, Anya?” Draupadi asked curiously.

Anya grinned, leaning in dramatically. “I want to see the portraits of all the eligible princes of Aryavart!”

Kunti raised her eyebrows, clearly caught off guard. “You... want to see the princes' portraits?”

Subhadra giggled, nudging Dushala. “Looks like someone’s finally ready to find a husband!”

Dushala smiled, “About time, Anya! But why so sudden?”

Anya tried her best to sound nonchalant, but her airheaded excitement was too obvious. “Well, Dushala is getting married, and I heard Vasudev Baba is planning a swayamvar for Subhadra too! Draupadi, you’re already married, so I don’t want to be left behind, you know? Gotta make sure I get the best catch!”

Draupadi and Kunti exchanged amused glances. “You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you?” Draupadi said, chuckling.

Kunti smiled warmly. “Very well, Anya. If you’re serious, we’ll bring you the portraits.”

A while later, they returned with a large stack of paintings, laying them out before Anya. “These are the most eligible princes in Aryavart,” Kunti said proudly.

Anya sat cross-legged in front of the portraits, her face serious as she scrutinized each one. She picked up the first portrait, holding it up to the light. “Hmm... nope, too old. Reject!” She tossed it aside with flair.

The next portrait: “He’s too serious. Looks like he’d scold me for talking too much. Reject!”

Subhadra was giggling uncontrollably, watching Anya reject princes left and right. Dushala couldn’t help but join in. “Anya, you’re not choosing vegetables at the market!” Dushala teased.

“Oh, I’m not?” Anya said, looking genuinely confused. “Well, considering some of these faces, you could’ve fooled me!” She held up another portrait. “Look at this guy! He looks like he’d turn into a frog at midnight. Reject!”

Draupadi facepalmed, trying to suppress her laughter. “Anya, you do realize these are some of the most powerful men in Aryavart?”

Anya waved her hand dismissively. “Powerful ! What’s the point of power if they don’t have a decent face to go with it?” She picked up another portrait. “This one... ugh, too grumpy. Reject!”