chapter 21

Draupadi entered her chamber, where her husband Yudhishthir was sitting at his desk, deeply engrossed in his writing. She quietly walked up to him, sitting beside him. Noticing her presence, Yudhishthir paused and turned to her, his expression softening.

“What’s on your mind, Draupadi?” he asked, his voice gentle, knowing that whenever she came with a serious expression, it meant something was troubling her.

Draupadi hesitated for a moment, then spoke. “Arya, I wanted to ask you about Dushala’s marriage.”

Yudhishthir’s hand stopped mid-air as he was about to continue writing. His brows furrowed slightly. “Dushala’s marriage? What do you mean?”

Draupadi nodded, her expression thoughtful. “Yes, Arya. I wanted to know your opinion. Do you really think King Jayadrath is the right suitor for her? Does he deserve her?”

Yudhishthir sighed deeply, putting down his quill. “No, Draupadi. I do not think King Jayadrath is a good match for Dushala. He has a reputation that does not sit well with me. But...” His voice trailed off, and sadness flickered in his eyes.

Draupadi leaned closer, her hand resting on his arm. “Then why don’t you stop the marriage, Arya? You’re the eldest Pandava. You can change this.”

Yudhishthir shook his head sadly. “Dushala is our only sister among us brothers. I want nothing more than her happiness. But even if I convince Tatshri to reconsider, Duryodhan and Mama Shakuni won’t allow it. They’ve already set their plans in motion.”

Draupadi’s face grew stern. “Politics again… Why is it always about power and politics? Shouldn’t Dushala’s happiness come first?”

Yudhishthir sighed again, his voice heavy. “In a perfect world, yes. But this is Hastinapur, Draupadi. The royal family’s alliances are built on politics, and Duryodhan’s ambitions fuel most decisions.”

Draupadi was silent for a moment, gathering her thoughts. Then she looked at Yudhishthir, a glint of hope in her eyes. “Arya, what do you think about my brother Drishtadyumna as a match for Dushala?”

Yudhishthir raised an eyebrow, surprised. “Drishtadyumna?”

“Yes,” Draupadi continued, her voice soft but determined. “He is a noble warrior, strong, kind, and respectful. Don’t you think he would be perfect for your sister?”

Yudhishthir nodded thoughtfully. “Drishtadyumna is a fine man. He would indeed be a much better suitor than Jayadrath. But... after the way things played out at your swayamvar, I don’t know if Hastinapur will ever agree to an alliance with Panchal.”

Draupadi bit her lip nervously. “I know it sounds complicated, but we can try. Arya, we can make Dushala happy, even if we have to go against politics.”

Yudhishthir smiled softly, seeing her determination. “Where did this idea come from, Draupadi?”

Draupadi laughed lightly, feeling a little embarrassed. “Anya. She came up with the idea.”

Yudhishthir shook his head with a chuckle. “Anya... She’s lively, indeed. But she’s far too young to be tangled in these shady political matters.”

Draupadi pleaded, her voice filled with emotion. “Arya, can’t we at least try? Dushala’s happiness is more important than politics. You know that as her brother.”

Yudhishthir looked deeply into Draupadi’s eyes, understanding the weight of her words. “For a brother, his sister’s happiness is the most important thing in the world,” he agreed softly. “Alright. Let’s try.”

Draupadi’s face lit up with happiness. “Thank you, Arya. Thank you!” She squeezed his hand and quickly added, “I’ll write a letter to my father and brother about this marriage.”

Yudhishthir smiled warmly, brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear. “There’s no need to thank me, Draupadi. This is for our sister’s happiness.”

Draupadi looked at him, her heart swelling with love. She rested her head on his shoulder, basking in the rare moment of closeness and warmth between them. Yudhishthir gently placed his hand over hers, pulling her closer.

---

Meanwhile, outside the palace, Sahadev found Nakul in the royal stables, patting his horse affectionately. The horse neighed softly, nudging Nakul, who smiled as he scratched its mane. Sahadev approached with a smirk.

“You keep patting your dear horse,” Sahadev taunted, “while Drishtadyumna takes Anya away.”

Nakul, confused, turned to him, his brow furrowed. “What are you talking about, Sahadev?”

Sahadev chuckled, enjoying the teasing. “I bumped into Anya earlier today. She had a portrait of Drishtadyumna in her hand and said it was her *future husband’s* portrait.”

Nakul’s eyes widened, and his heart sank. “What? Anya... likes Drishtadyumna?” His voice cracked with disbelief.

Sahadev nodded, still smiling. “Yes. She was practically glowing when she talked about him.”

Nakul’s shoulders slumped, and a feeling of jealousy gnawed at him. “Drishtadyumna... our wife’s brother?” He muttered under his breath, frustration evident in his tone. “I thought she wasn’t even thinking about marriage. Now, suddenly, she’s thinking about him?”

Sahadev leaned against the stable door, watching his brother’s reaction with amusement. “You’ve been too slow, Bhaiya. Time is running out. You better think fast if you want to propose.”

Nakul sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I’ve tried, Sahadev. I’ve tried to charm her with my looks, with my words. But she’s completely oblivious! No matter what I say, she just brushes it off.”

Sahadev laughed. “Well, Bhaiya, looks like your beauty isn’t enough this time. You’ll have to use your brain.”

Nakul groaned in frustration. “Anya’s so clueless! I’ve been hinting, but she doesn’t get it. What should I do, Sahadev?”

Sahadev clapped Nakul on the back. “Simple. You stop hinting and tell her straight up how you feel. No more games. Just tell her.”

Nakul’s expression was a mix of determination and anxiety. “I guess I have no choice now. If I don’t, she might actually end up with Drishtadyumna...”

Sahadev grinned. “Now you’re getting it. Good luck, Bhaiya. You’re going to need it.”

Nakul nodded, determination flaring in his chest. He would have to act fast, or he risked losing Anya to someone else.