chapter 23

Anya and Subhadra rode in a grand chariot toward Dwarka, with Krishna leading the way. The golden city sparkled under the sunlight, its towers and palaces reflecting the sea’s blue shimmer. Anya, in her usual energetic fashion, couldn't contain her excitement.

As they approached the city gates, Anya leaned out of the chariot and gasped dramatically. “Look at this place! It’s so shiny and beautiful! I feel like a honey bee who’s just come back to her golden hive!”

Krishna smirked. “Welcome home, Anya. Dwarka is yours to enjoy.”

Subhadra chuckled. “We’ll treat you like the queen you always act like.”

Anya puffed her chest. “Of course! I expect nothing less. I’ll be lounging in golden beds and eating grapes hand-fed to me by palace servants. Oh, and maybe a pet peacock or two!”

As they passed through the gates, the people of Dwarka lined the streets, welcoming Krishna, Subhadra, and Anya with garlands and cheers. Anya waved enthusiastically, causing several onlookers to laugh at her exaggerated royal demeanor.

“Ah, yes, my dear subjects!” she called out dramatically. “You may rise in my presence!” She raised her hand like a queen. “I shall bless you with my endless charm and humor.”

Krishna chuckled, shaking his head. “I see you’ve fully embraced your royal role here, Anya.”

Anya winked. “What can I say? Dwarka is a place where I truly shine!”

---

Inside the grand palace, Anya marveled at the luxury. Gold and silver décor adorned the halls, and the servants greeted her with deep bows. As they prepared her chambers, Anya sprawled on a plush velvet couch, sighing contentedly.

“This is the life,” she declared. “I could get used to this.”

Subhadra laughed as she sat beside her. “You already have.”

Krishna, ever playful, leaned against a pillar, watching his sister. “Enjoy your rest, Anya. It seems we have some work to do soon.”

Anya, with a mischievous grin, popped a grape into her mouth. “I’m always ready for work! Especially when it comes to matchmaking. But first, I’m going to take a nap on this ridiculously soft bed.”

---

**Meanwhile, in Hastinapur…**

Dushala sat in her chambers, clutching a letter tightly. Her heart raced as she reread the words from Drishtadyumna. She had started exchanging letters with him after learning that he, too, was open to the idea of their union. His letters were thoughtful, kind, and full of respect, and they stirred feelings in her heart she had never expected.

But every time she thought of her brother, Duryodhan, her resolve crumbled. He had been so happy about her marriage to King Jayadrath, believing it would make her a queen and secure their family's political alliances. Duryodhan always looked out for her happiness, and disappointing him felt impossible.

*How can I tell him?* she thought to herself. *How can I break his heart when he’s so certain this marriage will be good for me?*

Her mind was torn between her growing bond with Drishtadyumna and the heavy weight of her brother’s expectations. Every time she considered speaking to Duryodhan, fear held her back. She imagined the disappointment in his eyes, and it hurt her more than she could bear.

*But I like Drishtadyumna... no, I care for him deeply,* she thought, her heart racing again. *I want to marry him, not Jayadrath.*

The conflict raged within her, and with a heavy sigh, she began writing another letter to Drishtadyumna. She hoped that, through their words, she might find the courage to face her brother and speak her truth.