Chapter 35

i'll edit last chapter and change the dialogue because i am in fact never going to write a hawaii trip. don't have the time nor patience for that <3

however, i will write a meaningless charity event dedicated to the rich

Ardyn toys at the neckline of his suit, a nervous gesture he cringes at in the bathroom mirror

Ardyn toys at the neckline of his suit, a nervous gesture he cringes at in the bathroom mirror. It's too much. Unfamiliar.

"Rags to riches," teases Prince over the phone.

Ardyn's gaze drifts downward to his phone, propped against the mirror. Blond hair skewed across a dark blue pillow greets him. Prince's bedside lamp bathes his face in a warm, golden light. Ardyn misses him more than ever. It's been days since he's been home. Lately, Ardyn's been spending more time at Kahili's and Valen's. The infrequent times he stays home, Prince is either working or with Clementine.

"Are you sure you can't come?"

"And fourthwheel your throuple? I'm okay," Prince snorts. "Plus, my name wasn't on the fancy little invite you got."

"Neither was mine."

"Yeah, but your boyfriend's was."

"You can be my plus one!"

"You're the plus one."

Ardyn's cheeks puff in his reflection. He looks like a young boy trying to impersonate his rich, older colleagues. The facade is a well-done one, Kahili made sure of that, tailoring Ardyn's sleek black suit himself. The suit isn't the problem. Ardyn is. His hair is styled in a manner unlike him, gelled with purposeful pieces left to coil against his forehead. Against his wrist, a silver bangle engraved with various flowers. Gucci, Valen had said. Ardyn's soul left his body when he learned the price. Valen kissed him tenderly, righted his soul, and gave him the matching earring set.

"You look nice," Prince says. "Stop worrying so much."

Ardyn mumbles his gratitude, an unintentional blush forming on his cheeks. Heat curls inside his stomach as he envisions the rest of the night playing out. Nerves, he blames the simmering warmth on.

Valen calls for him from the other room.

"Gotta go. I'll text you."

"Bye," Prince sings, rolling over in bed. Ardyn catches a brief glimpse of Clementine beside him, a controller in his hand, his eyebrows scrunched in concentration before the call dies, and his phone goes black.

Ardyn finds Valen in the kitchen, propped against the counter, and smirking at the annoyed grimace on Kahili's face. He's dressed appropriately for the night, with a meticulously fitted suit and jewels along his hands. The smile he wears is Ardyn's favorite accessory. It stretches into a bubbling, contagious laugh as he teases Kahili again.

Valen's gaze swings to Ardyn upon his quiet arrival. "There you are, darling. Are you ready?" Ardyn's stomach warms at the sight of him. He's like a painting, art that's meant to be admired. Across the island counter, they stare at each other. Valen's lips stretch slightly. "Yes, you are. Come here."