Bound To Happen

Wednesday 11:39AM

I stare at the now broken mirror, the glass shattered across the floor, it is quite an ugly sight even for me, a mix of my blood and the broken shards of glass which is still reflecting at me. My reflection that had just shattered now feels like something more; it is mocking me. I can still hear my dad's words replying in my head over and over again.

I kneel down and pick up a larger piece of glass. The edges are sharp and cold against my skin. I grip it harder.

R- "What are you doing.."

I mutter to myself. I don't know if I am mad at myself or if I am mad at the person I have become. I am so wrapped up in myself right now I fail to hear the bedroom or front door to the house open, and next thing I know I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look back and see my sister Autumn.

Autumn looks at me seeing my hand still bleeding from where I punched the mirror and the broke piece of glass in my hand, which causes her to trail up my arm and see where I took the glass deeply to my skin, and to my surprise she doesn't say anything about it.

A- "Reece are you okay?"

R- "Yeah, I'm fine."

I lied forcing a smile which felt more like a grimace. I know she knows that I am lying. We make the same face when we lie. I just can't admit something is wrong.

A- "You don't look fine Reece. What happened?"

R- "It's really nothing Aut."

I wave my hand a bit trying to dismiss her worries, but my trembling voice makes it even more obvious I am lying to her.

A- "Reece you know I can't just let this go. Please stop shutting me out."

R- "Aut I am not sure you will even understand at this point."

A- "Try me."

She shot back quickly at me, her voice almost sharper then the glass on the floor.

A- "You think I haven't struggled before too? You think I have never felt lost?"

I look away feeling a bit guilty for causing Autumn's small outburst. I know she has struggled. I know Aut has her own issues much like I do.

A- "What is going on Reece?"

Autumn hugs me as she says that, I can feel the worry in her embrace.

A- "I know it is eating you alive right now."

R- "It is nothing Aut.

She pulls away from the hug and I can tell she is pissed at me now.

A- "Reece we can't just keep pretending everything is okay, you need help."

R- "Help?"

I go quiet for a second

R- "Help from who? Dad? He will just tell me I am not enough or that I am being dramatic."

A- "Not dad."

Autumns tone softens

A- "Just anyone Reece people who you love, and trust, you know you have me and Marjorie, you even have Mia as much as she will never admit that she cares about you we all know she does."

I feel a bit of anger at Aut for trying this hard to get involved.

R- "No Mia isn't even an option, neither is Marj."

R- "Autumn you do not understand I do not need or want help!"

My voice cracks and breaks as I speak. At this point I see it in Autumn's eyes that she is hurt by me shutting everyone out.

A- "Reece please.."

Autumn pleads with me, her eyes tearing up, but she doesn't let her tears fall.

A- "You can't keep shutting us out Reece, you were doing so well now your falling apart and I.. I just feel helpless Reece. I just want to help you!"

R- "Help me? All you are doing is nagging me about something I don't need. You don't know Autumn, You are clueless on what it is like to feel all this.. Emptiness and pressure!"

A- "YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW?"

Autumn shot at me, raising her voice, her tears finally falling down her face.

A- "Reece all I have seen is you fall apart, and you aren't just hurting yourself, you are hurting us too!"

R- "Who is us Aut? Dad? He just wants to tell me I am not sick enough and that I will NEVER make him proud."

I watch Autumn as she takes out her phone and makes a call.

A- "I'm calling you an Ambulance, you are getting help Reece."

R- "AUT NO PLEASE."

Tears fall down my face as I plead and try Aut to not make the call. But she does anyway.

I pace around the room desperately trying to find a way out of this, as I know when the paramedics see me they will not let me leave for at least 72 hours as it's obvious I am a danger to myself from the cuts I left on my arm.

As I am pacing around I am still so upset and mad at Aut for doing this to me.

A- "Reece, I know your mad but please you have to let us help you, at least let me help you."

R- "I.. I don't know if I can Aut."

I admit, that being the first thing I have admitted to in a long time.

Autumn hangs up the phone for now placing it on my dresser, she walks over to me pulling me into a tight hug.

A- "Then Reece, let's figure this out together."

Autumn said softly with a hint of determination in her voice.

A- "One step at a time."

For the rest of the time Aut is at my house, which is the rest of the day until Marjorie gets home we talk about what I have been going through and struggling with. She helped me sign up and get into a support group like I was told to do by our psychiatrist a while ago. She helped me clean and throw out the broken glass along with cleaning and bandaging my arm from where I harmed myself.

R- "Aut.."

A- "Yeah?"

I pull Autumn into a tight hug, tears falling down my face again.

R- "Thank you for being here. I love you so much and I would be so lost if you had died."

She hugs me back just as tightly, I feel her bury her face against my shoulder crying herself.

A- "Your welcome Big Brother, I love you too, This was just Bound To Happen"