Chapter Four: Games of Deception

The city skyline stretched out in the distance, glittering under the moonlight. Zane stood on the rooftop of a tall building, the cold breeze tousling his dark hair as he looked down at the streets below. He could still feel the aftermath of the previous night-the excitement, the challenge, the intoxicating feeling of control that came with toying with Ethan's mind.

He's doubting himself now, Zane mused, a small, satisfied smile tugging at his lips. He's wavering.

He'd planted the seed of uncertainty, and all he needed to do now was watch it grow. But that would require more than a few well-placed words. Ethan wasn't a fool-he was strong, determined. It would take time to wear him down, to chip away at his faith in Asher. But Zane had always been a patient man. After all, it wasn't the first time he'd broken someone.

The door to the rooftop creaked open, and a figure stepped out-a woman with sharp features and an air of authority. Rhea. One of Zane's most trusted associates, and one of the few people he considered an ally. She moved with the grace of a predator, her piercing gaze fixed on Zane.

"What's this I hear about you letting Titan's sidekick slip away?" she asked, her tone laced with curiosity and a hint of reprimand.

Zane turned, folding his arms across his chest as he met her gaze. "I didn't let him slip away," he replied, voice cool. "I let him walk out with exactly what I wanted him to take-a head full of doubt."

Rhea raised an eyebrow, crossing the rooftop to stand beside him. "You're playing a dangerous game, Zane. If Titan suspects you're targeting his protégé-"

"He already suspects," Zane interrupted, a hint of amusement in his tone. "He knows I'm after something more than his usual heroics. But what he doesn't know," Zane leaned in slightly, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper, "is that I'm not just going to break Ethan. I'm going to turn him."

Rhea's eyes widened slightly, surprise flickering across her face. "Turn him? That's a bold claim, even for you."

Zane shrugged, his smile faint but dangerous. "Ethan's different. He's not like Asher. There's darkness in him, whether he knows it or not. And once I show him just how deep it runs, he'll have no choice but to see that the line between hero and villain is thinner than he thinks."

Rhea studied him for a long moment, then nodded slowly, her gaze thoughtful. "And what if you're wrong? What if you push him too far and he breaks?"

Zane's smile faded, his expression turning sharp. "Then I'll pick up the pieces. But he won't break." He turned away, looking back at the cityscape. "Ethan will bend. He'll bend and bend, until he snaps back against Asher with a force Titan will never see coming."

Rhea didn't respond immediately. She simply watched him, her eyes searching his face as if trying to discern the deeper motives behind his words. Then, finally, she let out a soft sigh.

"Just be careful, Zane," she murmured, her voice uncharacteristically gentle. "If this backfires... Ethan could do more than just unravel your plans. He could unravel you."

Zane stiffened at her words, his jaw tightening. But he didn't reply. Instead, he turned his gaze back to the skyline, his thoughts swirling with dark possibilities.

---

Ethan's POV

Ethan's knuckles were white against the metal of the training bar as he swung himself up again, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. The gym was empty except for him, the quiet hum of the air conditioner the only sound. He'd been at it for hours, trying to push himself past the turmoil that had been roiling in his mind since the confrontation with Zane.

"Focus," he muttered under his breath, gritting his teeth as he pulled himself up again, his muscles screaming in protest. "Don't let him get to you. He's just a-"

"Villain?" a voice drawled from behind him.

Ethan nearly lost his grip, his heart lurching in his chest as he dropped back down to the ground, spinning around to face the intruder. But it was only Asher, leaning casually against the doorframe, his arms crossed over his chest. His dark eyes watched Ethan with an unreadable expression, his presence a stark reminder of the confrontation they'd had the night before.

Ethan exhaled, running a hand through his damp hair. "Yeah. Just a villain," he muttered, more to himself than to Asher.

Asher pushed off the doorframe, stepping into the gym. He moved with the easy confidence of someone who had spent his entire life honing his body to perfection. "You're pushing yourself too hard," he said, his voice calm but firm. "This won't solve anything."

Ethan bit back a sharp retort, forcing himself to nod. Asher was right-pushing himself to the breaking point wouldn't change the fact that he'd frozen up last night. That he'd let Zane's words get to him.

But how could he explain what he was feeling? The way Zane's gaze seemed to strip away every layer of confidence Ethan had built over the years? The way his voice had wormed its way into Ethan's thoughts, leaving him second-guessing everything he knew about himself?

"It's not just about last night," Ethan finally said, his voice low. "It's... I just feel like I'm losing my edge. Like I'm slipping, and I don't know why."

Asher's gaze softened, the harsh lines of his face easing slightly. "You're not slipping. You're human, Ethan. You're allowed to have doubts, to feel overwhelmed. But you need to trust me-trust us. We're in this together."

Ethan looked away, guilt twisting in his gut. Trust. It seemed so simple when Asher said it, like an unspoken promise that no matter what, they'd always have each other's backs. But what if Ethan wasn't strong enough to hold onto that trust? What if the darkness Zane had hinted at was real-was part of him?

He swallowed hard, forcing himself to meet Asher's gaze. "I know. I just... I need some time to sort through this. I'll be fine."

Asher nodded, though a shadow of concern lingered in his eyes. "Alright. But remember-if you need to talk, I'm here. Don't shut me out."

Ethan managed a small smile, though it didn't reach his eyes. "I won't."

But as Asher turned and left the gym, Ethan's smile faded. He clenched his fists, the words Zane had whispered to him back in the warehouse replaying in his mind.

You don't belong on his side.

The doubt was there, festering, spreading. And try as he might, Ethan couldn't seem to shake it.

---

Zane's POV

Later that night, as Zane stood in his dimly lit office, his mind was already working on the next step. He'd seen the conflict in Ethan's eyes, the uncertainty that had flashed across his face. Ethan was like a tightly coiled spring-ready to snap, but not quite there yet.

Zane's fingers drummed lightly against his desk, a smile tugging at his lips as he considered his options. He needed to draw Ethan further in, to make him question everything he thought he knew about himself and Asher.

But there was no rush.

Zane could wait. All he needed was the right moment, the right approach. He would bide his time, crossing paths with Ethan again-casually, subtly, and then, little by little, he would plant the seeds of doubt more deeply.

Yes, Zane would wait. And when the time was right, he would make Ethan question everything.

A slow, calculated game. One where Zane never lost.