9

"I'll be ready to go in a bit, Mer," Sophie grinned as she cleared a table of dishes.

"Don't worry, take your time," Meredith shrugged, from her spot on a chair watching Sophie clean.

"It was crazy again tonight," Megan sighed, rubbing her hand over her now obvious belly.

"I think we can stop calling it crazy at this point," Nancy groaned.

"Completely insane works," Sophie grinned.

"And no groaning, Nance. You love this," Megan laughed.

"I really do," Nancy smiled. "This is incredible."

"It really is," Sophie nodded. "Tiring but incredible."

"Your father would be ecstatic," Mrs. Shepherd smiled widely as she came in from the kitchen, carrying a pie. "Derek says there was some leftover pie we can have."

"Thank god for leftovers," Sophie sighed. "I could use something before Mer and I head out."

"Finish cleaning first, Soph," Nancy raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, bossy," Sophie rolled her eyes at Meredith.

"I'm going to head home," Megan sighed as she stood up from the chair. "You know how Sam is."

"Go ahead, dear," Mrs. Shepherd nodded.

"Night, guys," Megan grinned. "Night, Mer."

"Night Megan," Meredith smiled.

"I have to run to the back and look over the ordering for tomorrow," Nancy sighed. "We have to triple our usual."

"Stupid article," Sophie groaned.

"The article was the best thing ever," Nancy grinned as she cut a piece of pie. "Mom, don't let Sophie leave until she's done cleaning."

"Of course not," Mrs. Shepherd nodded, taking a seat near Meredith. "I'll keep Meredith company until she's done."

"Oh," Meredith breathed, looking quickly at Sophie. "Okay."

"Oh don't look at her like that," Mrs. Shepherd rolled her eyes. "I have no idea what my children have told you about me, but I certainly don't bite."

"Sorry, Mrs. Shepherd," Meredith mumbled.

"Call me Katherine, dear," Mrs. Shepherd smiled.

"Oh, okay, Mrs.-Katherine," Meredith nodded, biting her lip slightly as she poked at a piece of pie.

"My children have a tendency to think that just because I'm old I'm on the slow side and don't catch on to things going on around me."

"That's not true, Mom," Sophie grinned at Meredith as she carried a stack of plates towards the kitchen.

"It is," Mrs. Shepherd nodded. "They never tell me anything any more."

"That's because there's nothing to tell you," Sophie rolled her eyes. "I'm going to the kitchen. Be nice, Mom."

"I'm always nice," she sighed.

"Yeah, I know," Sophie sighed. "Sorry, Mer. Call me if you need me."

"I will," Meredith sighed.

"And, Mom, seriously. Nice," Sophie ordered before disappearing into the kitchen.

"Honestly, they act like I'm a monster," Mrs. Shepherd sighed.

"I'm, uh, I know you're...you're not," Meredith stammered, digging at the crust of the pie.

"You like my son."