34

"Are you still talking about Derek Shepherd?" Izzie asked as she slid into the spot beside Meredith, across from Cristina. "I swear it's all I hear about now."

"It's all she talks about," Cristina rolled her eyes. "Mer...get the fuck over him. Or fuck him. But seriously...we don't care."

"It's not all I talk about," Meredith protested. "And I don't want to get over him."

"We still talking about Shepherd?" Alex groaned as she sat down next to Izzie.

"Of course," Cristina groaned.

"Okay, you guys act like I talk about him all the time," Meredith rolled her eyes. "I don't. It's just...he kissed me."

"So you've said," Izzie nodded. "A thousand times."

"Okay, but...he kissed me," Meredith groaned. "And it was..."

"You're world stopped. Yes, we have heard the cheesy shit," Cristina nodded.

"Okay, I said that once, one time," Meredith sighed as she waved her fork at Cristina. "It was amazing and then he apologized. Who apologizes? I mean it was...it was the best kiss ever and he apologized. And walked away. Walked away."

"Umm...Mer..." Cristina frowned, looking over Meredith's shoulder.

"He just completely and totally walked away. Nothing else. Just walked away after he said sorry. Who the hell says sorry? You don't say sorry after a kiss unless it was really, really bad. And it wasn't. It wasn't really, really bad. It was amazing and world-stopping and...it definitely wasn't bad. He's a great kisser. Amazing kisser. So why would he apologize? Unless I was bad."

"Mer..." Cristina repeated, gesturing above Meredith's shoulder.

"What, Cristina?" Meredith snapped as she turned around to find Derek standing behind her, a bag in his hand. "Oh...god..."

"Hey," he murmured quietly, his face slightly pink. "Umm...Mark said I'd find you here."

"Oh...yeah," she nodded, her own face turning pink. "Um...we're...eating and...talking. Not about...but you know...uh, what are you doing here?"

"I was...day off so I made you desert," he shrugged, pushing the bag toward her.

"Oh...thanks," she breathed. "Do you...I mean...sit down?"

"Oh okay," he nodded, slipping into the other seat beside her. "It's chocolateyness."

"Thanks, Der," she breathed, ducking her head down and whispering to Izzie, "How long has he been there?"

"I think long enough to hear most of that," Izzie whispered back, laughing softly.

"Shit," Meredith cursed softly. "Not funny, Iz. Not funny."

"Kind of funny, Mer," Izzie laughed.

"You suck," Meredith hissed before turning to Derek. "Um...do you...I mean, day off...crap."

"Crap?" he frowned.

"Nothing," she shook her head, biting her lip. "Nothing. Just...thanks. For the chocolateyness."

"No problem," he shrugged. "I thought since...I just...hospital food sucks."

"It does," Meredith nodded, holding up her fork of salad. "Even the salad sucks."

"It looks a little...pathetic," Derek frowned, grabbing a tomato off the top, popping it in his mouth and making a face.

"Not as good as your tomatoes?" she giggled.

"Definitely not," he grinned. "I guess I know why you steal mine all the time."

"And now maybe you'll be nicer to me about it," she smirked as she pushed her salad away and opened the bag he had given her.