45

"Why are men so stupid hard to shop for?" Sophie sighed as she frowned at the selection of ties and button down shirts on the table in front of her. "I asked Brian what he wanted for his birthday and he shrugged and said whatever I got him would make him happy."

"You should get him something you benefit from," Meredith suggested.

"He suggested lingerie," Sophie giggled.

"That is always an excellent gift," Meredith smiled. "Although really...it's kind of wrapping paper and you're the gift. That was cheesy. Sorry. Your brother has ruined me."

"That really is ridiculously cheesy."

"Blame it on Derek," Meredith sighed.

"I usually do," Sophie laughed and then nodded. "Lingerie it is then. I saw something in the Victoria's Secret catalogue I liked. Come on." She turned and walked off quickly.

"Coming," Meredith winced slightly as she moved too quickly, slowing her pace immediately.

Sophie turned to look at her, a slight smile on her face. "Rough night?"

"You could say that," Meredith sighed.

"After the bar?" Sophie slowed her own pace to match Meredith's pain-filled steps.

"Yeah...Derek was jealous so he got all caveman on me."

"Okay...I really, really don't need details," Sophie grimaced.

"Sorry," Meredith giggled.

"It's okay," Sophie laughed. "I probably set myself up for that one."

"Probably," Meredith nodded. "Where did he learn to give massages?"

"Derek gives massages?"

"Amazing massages."

"I definitely didn't know that."

"Well they're amazing."

"Glad to hear it," Sophie nodded and then sighed. "Mer...what's going on with you and Derek?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you guys together? Are you a couple? Are you dating? You're attached at the hip but anytime we ask him he swears you're not a couple."

"We're not a couple," Meredith shrugged. "We're just...us."

"With your something, I know," Sophie sighed. "But what does that mean?"

"I don't know," Meredith sighed.

"You haven't talked about it?"

"No we haven't," Meredith shook her head. "And that's okay."

"How is it okay?" Sophie asked. "Do you have any idea where this is going? Or if you want the same things he does?"

"Well no...but...we're happy. This is working for us."

"And you don't want to know what you mean to him?"

"No," Meredith sighed. "I know I mean something to him and that's enough."

"But you don't know what?"

"No, I don't know what."

"Mer...I'm not one hundred percent sure Kathleen would give your something the healthy whatever stamp of approval."

"I know this probably isn't healthy," Meredith shrugged. "But we're happy."

"Which is great, really, it's been forever since I saw him happy. But...what happens when things change and he wants things that you might not?"