28

"I am so happy I got tonight off," Meredith sighed for the hundredth time, staring at the now empty shot glass in front of her. "So entirely happy."

"You'll be even happier after another shot," Sophie grinned as she looked down at her own empty shot glasses. "Much, much, much happier."

"This is an excellent way to spend a birthday," Meredith giggled. "I worked on my birthday. My twenty fifth birthday and I had to work in the pit all night. The pit is hell. They shouldn't even call it the pit. They should call it hell."

"What's the pit?" Sophie's friend, Mallory, asked.

"It's the ER. The surgical interns get to do sutures," Meredith explained. "Sutures is a funny word."

"That is a funny word," Sophie giggled and then sat up straight. "Derbear! Markie!"

"Hey guys," Derek smiled before pulling his sister into a hug. "Happy birthday, Soph."

"You too!" Sophie laughed and then shook her head. "It's not your birthday. Not for another two weeks. But I said happy birthday."

"How much have you already had?" Derek asked.

"Three," Sophie nodded.

"Slow down before you fall down," Derek murmured, before turning to Meredith. "Hey Mer."

"Hey, Der," she grinned. "I got the night off. And so did Markie. Markie who makes me go down to the pit and do sutures."

"Does he?" Derek laughed.

"She's an intern, it's her job," Mark shrugged as he kissed Sophie's cheek. "Happy birthday, little sis."

"Thank you, Markie," Sophie giggled.

"And hello to you," Mark grinned at Sophie's friend, Adriana.

"Markie! You promised that you wouldn't hit on my friends," Sophie groaned.

"It's okay," Adriana giggled, smiling up at Mark.

"Oh wonderful," Derek rolled his eyes.

"It's cause he's McSteamy," Meredith giggled. "Which means steam comes off his body cause he's so hot and girls want him. But he has moves."

"Markie has moves?" Sophie frowned.

"There's a club at the hospital," Meredith nodded. "He has moves. Same moves. All the time same moves."

"Seriously?" Derek laughed.

"That club is full of shit," Mark rolled his eyes. "Bitter. They're all bitter because they haven't gotten a piece of McSteamy. You, on the other hand," Mark turned to Adriana, "you can have every inch of me."

"Does that actually work for you?" Derek asked.

"I don't know," Mark grinned at Adriana, "does it?"

"It might if you buy me another drink," Adriana grinned.

"That I can do," Mark nodded, throwing an arm around her and signaling to the bartender to bring her another shot.

"I knew inviting Markie was a bad idea," Sophie shook her head. "I need another shot."

"I told you," Meredith nodded wisely, "it's cause he's got the McSteamy moves. And the McSteamy face. To which I am immune."

"You're immune?" Derek asked.

"I am immooone," Meredith drew out the word, nodding emphatically. "The McSteamy face does not work on Meredith Grey."

"He's tried, hasn't he?" Sophie groaned.