Twenty-Four

One more won't hurt, became the mantra of the night. Kisses with Bucky? One more won't hurt. Dances? One more won't hurt. Another shot? Another vodka tonic? Why the hell not?! One more sure as shit wouldn't hurt.

Well, until now.

With his head pounding, Steve covered his eyes in hopes of blocking out the too-bright sunshine streaming in through the sheer curtains. He tried to remember the events of the night prior, but found them hazy at best. Just bits and pieces, really. A smile here, a stumble there. A decent dinner that tasted good, but not as good as Bucky's lips.

There was laughter and love. Not just him and Bucky, but with the others too. Becca and Dum Dum joined them on the dance floor. Dum Dum cut in so he could show Bucky how to "properly" dip a partner, causing Steve to nearly fall on his ass. Sam and Bucky teasing each other just like when they were in school. The only people missing from their little group were their ex-wives who were off in other countries with their kids.

Scrubbing his hands over his face and into his unruly hair, his wedding ring caught and tangled in his bedhead –

Wait.

Wedding ring?

weddING RING –

WAIT!

Eyes snapping open as he sat straight up in bed, Steve immediately brought his left hand up in front of himself so he could look at it. More specifically, the twenty-five cent gumball machine prize. The cheap metal band had been stretched to fit over his ring finger, but it was still there with a dainty purple jewel arrogantly staring at him.

Turning, Steve found Bucky sleeping on his stomach while a short bridal veil covered his face. The brunet's shirt was off, and Steve lifted the duvet to see that – thankfully – his pants were still on (much like Steve's still were). The brunet even still had one of his shoes on. The thing that Steve chose to focus on though was the brand new lower back tattoo that read: Steve 4eva

"Oh god," Steve groaned, dropping the blanket and holding his face in his hands.

More images from the previous night came back to him. Sam and Dum Dum making jokes about how if Bucky loved Steve so much, then maybe he should marry him. Juvenile, grade school teasing was all it had been. Well, at first. But then Becca went and Triple Dog Dared her twin to do it. And, well, not even tipsy Dr. Monica Rambeau could deny that finding a wedding chapel that easily had to be fate.

"Oh god," Steve repeated. Shaking his head, he spoke aloud, "Dear goddamn-fucking god, what did we do last night?"

"Shh, 'm sleepin'," Bucky said, his voice slurring due to grogginess. Or the alcohol they had the night before. Nevertheless, Bucky blindly reached out so he could wrap his arm around Steve and pull him closer.

Going with the flow, Steve laid down and allowed the brunet to pull them flush together. Happily, Bucky sighed. Would it be so bad to be his husband? To be Bucky's husband? As Steve gazed at the man, he didn't think so. Sure, he made some stupid decisions in the past, but who hadn't? Who was without faults in this world? Hell, Steve had been a stubborn asshole his entire life and Bucky still wanted –

"Holy fuck!" Steve gasped, pain in his lower back struck him just as Bucky's hand settled there.

Instantly, Bucky's eyes flew open and he ripped the veil off his face. The brunet was confused and probably a little scared at Steve's outburst, but the blond couldn't focus on him right now. No, he was out of bed and running for the bathroom.

Flipping the light on, Steve turned so he could view his back. After all, if Bucky had a brand new tattoo, why wouldn't Steve join him in that too?

"Perfect," Steve groaned in annoyance. "Just perfect."