New Recruits

A couple of days later and I was out and about, much to everyone's disapproval.

Today we were training some new recruits and I just got to the Castle. I walked into the pavilion we have outside for training. I saw Kinnley and thought of an idea. Double checking to make sure that Kinnley couldn't see me where I was, I crept along the bushes. Quietly drawing my sword, I smiled and giggled a bit at my plan. I did this every year when we got more recruits. I stood up and raised my sword, quietly charging towards Kinnley.

I got ready to make a hit. As I was about to hit his shoulder, he swiftly turned around and blocked my attack with his sword. I smiled when we came face to face. "Dammit, Kinnley. I almost got you this time." I lowered my sword and placed back at my side.

Kinnley chuckled and sheathed his sword. I noticed that the recruits were staring at me. Most of them were around my age or older, some probably in their early or late twenties. The group was smaller then last years. "These men are the new recruits then?" I rested my hand casually on the hilt of my sword.

Kinnley nodded. "Men, meet my daughter, and the next Captain of the Guard, Kava." I still wasn't used to being his heir. It felt weird to me. Along with the fact that I might be leading these men into battle should one arise.

Some of the men bowed, some saluted, and others didn't know what to do so they just nodded their heads. I smiled. "You boys are gonna have some fun when I get ahold of you, just wait." I winked smiling. "However don't listen to the other guards and their tall tales about me 'cause it probably isn't true."

"Kava, why don't you stop threatening them and spar with them instead. They need the practice and you need to keep up your strength after what happened."

"But I'm poisoned remember?" I whispered.

"This is an order."

I huffed. "Fine." I drew my sword and looked at the men. "Alright, who am I knocking out first?"

Kinnley glared at me. I shrugged and twirled my sword in the air. I stopped, when I heard a voice come from the group of men.

"Are you all really scared of her? Seriously? Look at her. The only thing I'd be scared of is crushing her." A boy my age stepped out from the crowd smirking. He had green skin and grass green eyes. His hair was white and he had strange markings on his chin and his neck, I came to the conclusion that he was of faerie blood, which would explain his off worldly and arrogant aura about him.

I narrowed my eyes. "Is this a challenge?"

He crossed his arms, still smirking. "Of course it is." He withdrew his sword.

Kinnley sighed. "You know maybe this wasn't a good idea after all." I looked at Kinnley and laughed.

"Oh come off it Kinnley." I cracked my knuckles. "I'll take this kid down. Besides, it was your idea." Kinnley sighed and mumbled incoherently.

I raised my sword, and got into a battle stance. The boy across from me got into a battle position. Someone blew the horn and both of us charged. Our swords clashed together, the noise echoing across the courtyard.

I pulled my sword away. Blind spots. Look for blind spots. As I was looking, the boy aimed for different spots on my body, I parried each blow. The force he put behind his sword had me backing up a lot though. Suddenly, he kept thrusting and sending blow after blow. It was starting to become overwhelming.

"Damn, I need to practice more, I'm a bit rusty." I mumbled. The stupid kid must've heard me because he chuckled.

"You are actually pretty good, at least for someone who's just recovering." He smirked, then whipped around and tried getting a blow from above. The attack was weak and I blocked it with my sword. "But I'm better."

I laughed. "You sure are a cocky kid aren't you?" He narrowed his eyes. That's what I've been waiting for. Getting my opponent annoyed hyped me up. I kicked his leg and thrusted my sword towards his stomach. He remained balanced and blocked my thrust.

Both of us were sweating and we were face to face. The horn blew. "Times up."

We withdrew our swords. The kid bowed. "It was a pleasure fighting you, but next time I will beat you." He rose and smirked.

"Ha in your dreams." I looked at him. "What's your name?"

"My name is Alder."

I reached my hand out. "Well Alder, I hope to duel with you some other time." Alder reached out to shake my hand, but instead he leaned down and kissed my hand. He rose with a smirk on his face. I looked at Kinnley, who had his eyebrows raised. I pulled my hand away.I turned to Kinnley. "Well I better get going. I have to go to the library and research some things."

Kinnley frowned. "For who?"

"Cole was wondering about a plant that we found in the forest. It looked weird even to him, so I'm going to help him research it." Yeah that's a good excuse.

"Well then, go have fun." Kinnley winked and shoved me towards the castle playfully.

"Will do." I smiled and ran back into the castle.