Confrontation

In a matter of moments, we had the whole island surrounded and castle guards were rounding up the last of the pirates and putting them on the navy's ships. All, except for one. My brother was currently tied to a chair and looking at me with a smirk. "I'm surprised you haven't killed me yet."

I clenched my fist. "Saving you for the gallows. Plus, I need information."

Ethan clucked his tongue. "Well, sorry sis but, you're not getting any answers from me."

I pointed his cutlass at his throat. "I just have one question that you need to answer. Then," I swallowed. "You won't ever see me again."

Ethan sighed. "Alright. I'll answer your one question."

"Why did you bring me here?" I looked Ethan in the eyes. He avoided my gaze and looked everywhere but at me.

He cleared his throat. "I wanted to see you and I didn't know how to do that. So I brought you here." He looked down to the left of me.

I pointed my sword closer to his throat. "You're lying. Why did you really bring me here?"

Ethan closed his eyes and sighed. "They say that located in the north-west mountains there is an amulet like no other. Whoever obtains it, is filled with power. Power like no other. A power with strength so great, it can bring back the dead." He opened his eyes and looked at me. His hazel eyes were burning with emotion. "The amulet can create wars, it can stop wars. It can do all sorts of dark magic. I brought you here in hopes that you would help me bring our parents back with that amulet."

The sword fell through my fingers landing on the ground with a loud clank. For a minute or so, no words were spoken. I took a deep breath and looked at Ethan. "It's dark magic. Elves and the fey don't even use magic like that. What would the purpose of bringing our parents back serve? That we could be a family again?" I laughed humourlessly. "You're a pirate Ethan." I spat. "And if they did come back, I can't just drop my duty to the kingdom." I ran my hand through my hair and started pacing.

"Would you really choose the kingdom over your family?"

I stopped and looked at him. "As far as I know, my family is what keeps this kingdom going." I looked at him one last time. "You know, I thought that when I would see you again, when I found you, I would introduce you to everyone at the castle." My voice was strained. I needed to get out of here before I got too emotional. "I'd thought I'd be able to live with you. Turns out your a freaking pirate, and soon you'll be with your friends, in the grave and dead." I walked out of the room and slammed the door.

"Bring him on my ship. I don't trust him with the other pirates." I told a nearby guard. 

"Yes sir."

I left the building and walked into an alleyway. I punched a wall in frustration and held my hand over my mouth, stopping my sobs from being heard. I slid down the wall and looked up at the sky, silently crying.

"Kav?"

I turned my head away. "I want to be alone right now." 

Derrick sat next to me. "I know you want to be alone right now, but you shouldn't. I'm happy you're safe."

I sniffled. "Good. I don't want anything to do with that bastard. I'm happy he's going to be dead."

Derrick winced. "You don't me-"

"Yes I do Derrick." I stood up and looked down at him. "I mean every blasted word I say. That good for nothing son of a-"

"Kav take a deep breath." He wiped the hair out of my eyes and looked at me. "He's no longer a concern of yours." Derrick pulled me into a hug. "Everything will be fine."

~

We made it back to the mainland in about ten days time. The air was cold and brisk. The scent of fall blowing with the winds. "How long was I gone?" I asked when I entered the courtyard.

"About four weeks sir."

"So about a month. How long until the Masquerade ball?" I climbed the stairs to the castle entrance and took a left heading towards where the library was.

"Two weeks."

I froze. "Two weeks?" My voice went a little higher than was expected. I cleared my throat. "We better start preparing those gallows then. Don't want our guests to be welcomed with the pirates execution."

"I'll get right on it."

"Tell the others as well. I want every able man working on those gallows." The guard saluted and then left in a hurry.

"You haven't been here a day and you're already back on the job, something Kinnley would definitely do." I turned around and bowed.

"Your Majesty, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"You may rise. I wanted to talk to you about what has happened over the weeks you were gone."

I frowned. "Were there any problems?"

"None you should worry about. However, it seems to me that an item has sparked my interest. In fact it's the very amulet that your brother was hoping to obtain. You see, I've been searching everywhere for it, and well, I want you to keep your brother alive."

My eyes widened. "I beg your pardon Your Majesty?"

King Warren smiled. "I think you heard me correctly. Now, let's keep this chat a secret between you and me. Oh, and we can talk more about it after the ball." He left with a whoosh of his cloak and headed into the library. I leaned against the wall, our conversation buzzing through my mind. I took a deep breath and headed to Kinnley's office.

~

I knocked on the door, waiting for Kinnley to respond. A faint "Come in," was all I needed. I opened the door and when he looked up, I was in his arms immediately. "Kava." Kinnley held me tightly.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too sweetheart. Opal and I were so worried. I sent those ships as soon as they pinpointed your location."

I removed myself from his arms and looked at him. "You and Opal are the only family I have. Turns out my brother was the pirate king." Kinnley was silent. I looked up at him. "I couldn't be happier with you two."

Kinnley smiled. "Opal has this big dinner planned and we shan't keep her waiting."

"Alright." I bumped his shoulder with mine. "Just so you know I'm going to finish before you are."

He scoffed. "We shall see."

*****

ITS ALMOST OVER

I'm so happy & sad that it's almost over. There will be a second book coming, I promise you that.

Thanks for reading!

- Hannah