Preperations

I knocked on the door and I heard a faint "Come in!" I opened the door and looked around. The room was covered in dresses, men's tunics, and fabric.

Maria turned around and smiled. "Kava, it's been a while."

"Well, I have busier things to attend to then being pretty." I walked around. "By the looks of it, you sure have been busy." I lifted a piece of fabric up and moved it between my thumb and forefinger. Maria was the Royal seamstress. She's a good friend of mine and still quite young. Her age just started to show with a few grey hairs, but other then that she barely looked a day over thirty.

"Of course I've been busy. Now what can I do for you?"

I turned around and faced her. "I need a dress for the Masquerade Ball. I know it's last minute, but I was hoping you could make one for me?" I looked at her, pleading with my eyes.

She sighed. "Of course I would make one for you. But, I will call you for fittings and you won't be able to get out of that." I nodded and hugged her.

"Thank you."

~~~~

As the ball was in a couple of days, guests started arriving. Which meant that Kinnley and I were taking turns of duty. He would be in charge during the day, and I would be in charge during the night.

I was in the office doing work one night, when King Warren decided to stop by. The door closed with a click, making my head snap up. I stood up abruptly and bowed.

"Your Majesty, what a surprise to see you this late at night." I stood up and sat down in my chair. I gestured to the chair that was across the desk. "Please take a seat."

"No thank you, I like standing just fine."

I nodded once. "Alright then. So what brings you to my office?"

"We never had a conversation since the hangings, as I have been busy with the ball and, well, being a King."

"Ah, so now you wish to talk." I leaned forward. "What would we be talking about?"

"Your brother." I stiffened. I looked up at the King and looked him in the eye. "I beg your pardon, Your Majesty, but as far as I know I don't have a brother." He chuckled.

"So you've disowned him then? Very well. Then I wish to discuss the Pirate King."

"What about him?"

"Well, I'd figure we use him."

"Use him?"

"That amulet he talked about, The Amulet of Undoing, it's made up of a stone only found in the Faerie kingdom called Nenrl. Thalidien is in the north west and that's where the Pirate King says the amulet is. I want you to go with him. I want you to get me that amulet. It's said to hold great power, and what better to use it for then to take over the four kingdoms."

I looked at King Warren. "You want to start a war?"

He looked at me with madness in his eyes. "Not a war my dear, a conquest. As the ruler of the smallest kingdom, I find it fitting."

I stood up. "Your Majesty, I think it's too late for this. You should probably get some sleep. Maybe you had too much wine?"

Something snapped in him. "I will order you to do this, and if you don't, then say goodbye to your elf lover." I froze and my eyes widened. The King laughed in a mad way. "You thought no one knew? That's precious." He turned around and turned to leave. He looked at me with a glare. "You will do this."

I swallowed and nodded. "Anything you wish, Your Majesty."

~

I ran to Derricks quarters and knocked multiple times. After the fifth knock, he answered the door. His hair was tousled and he was in a shirt and trousers. "Kav? Are you okay?" I busted into his room and closed the door behind me, not answering him. "I take that as a no then."

I ran my hand through my hair and paced around. "Sorry for waking you up, but this is urgent." Derrick leaned against the wall.

"It's fine. It's not like it's the middle of the night or anything." I kept pacing and wringing my hands. I was chewing on my lip. "Whats got you so worked up?"

"Your father."

"What did he do?"

I stopped pacing and looked at Derrick. "It'll only make sense if I start from the beginning." Derrick nodded. "Ethan found out about this Amulet of Undoing. It's so powerful that it can bring back the dead. Your father, His Royal Majesty, wants to use it and conquer the whole country." I looked over at Derrick. "He's ordering me to go with Ethan to Thalidien to retrieve it, and if I don't he'll.." I looked away from Derrick. "..He'll kill Cole."

Derrick raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure that this is my father we're talking about?"

I looked at him. "Would I lie about this?"

Derrick sighed. "Of course not. But maybe," he hesitated. "Maybe, you haven't gotten enough sleep and are just confusing reality with your nightmares."

I sighed. "You don't believe me. Okay. I understand. But when I'm gone in a few days maybe weeks, then you'll know why. Now, I have more work that needs to get done."

When I got back into Kinnley's office, like I predicted there was paperwork he set aside for me to do. Most of it was reports from other mansions and how they were doing. A couple was from the navy. I replied to them and folded them into envelopes and sealed them with Kinnley's seal. My fingers started cramping, so I took a break and stretched. I added more wood to the fireplace and drank some water.

"This sure is tiring." I mumbled. I sighed and sat back down continuing to work. After a few hours I looked at the clock. It was super late now. I yawned and leaned in the chair. All of it was done. I finished everything for Kinnley, and it had taken me all night.

"He owes me for this." I mumbled. I rested my head on my arms and fell asleep on the desk.

I heard a door open and close, and something warm was near me. I moved closer to the warmth. I nuzzled my face into the soft cloth. I breathed in mint and grass.

Alder he's supposed to be....

I opened my eyes wide and scrambled to my feet. I was still in Kinnley's office, but I could've sworn..

"He's dead. He was hung on the gallows. He's gone." I said, trying to reassure myself. I shook my head and retired to the chambers that were set out for me.