Torture Day

The picture is what the guard outfits sort of look like when they are on guard duty
***********
Guard duty isn't a job many soldiers want, but it's something they need to do.

I leaned against the gate and stretched my arms while yawning. "I hate nightshift." I didn't hear a reply from my partner. I looked over at him to find him snoozing. I sighed, and shook his shoulder to wake him up. "Hey! Wake up!"

The man woke up startled and glared at me. "Why'd you wake me up?"

"No snoozing on the job, even if it is tempting. Plus you don't want Kinnley to find out you've been snoozing. He doesn't care if your a new recruit or not, he'll give you a worse job then this."

The man snorted. "How would you know? You're his daughter. He's not going to give you guard duties."

I shot him a look. "Believe me I've been given jobs that no man or women should have to do." I shuddered just for affect. Scaring new recruits was my favourite thing to do. Plus it gave Kinnely a reputation. He has Opal and I to thank for that. "Oh and not only am I his daughter, but I'm officially named as next Captain Of the Royal Guard, so watch your attitude pal." The man stood at attention and muttered an apology.

The guards changed shifts every hour or so. My next shift was in the tower which was my favourite place. However, Alder was my partner this time. I sighed. "Let's get this over with." I mumbled. Alder raised his eyebrows in a questioning matter. I just glared at him, and ignored him.

The tower was my favourite place when I was on duty because it was so peaceful. I could see everything around the castle and the view of the city was amazing. I leaned against the wall and looked up at the stars letting my mind wander.

My thoughts were mostly about Derrick. At the meeting he carried on as if nothing happened. Were we okay? I don't even know what I did to upset him. He was probably just having one of his moods. My thoughts were disturbed when Alder snapped his fingers in my face. "I've been calling your name for awhile. For minute I thought that no one was home." Alder smirked.

I sighed. "Sorry. What do you need?" Something flashed across his face, then he composed himself.

"Have you talked to Kinnley about the squadrons?"

I looked at him warily. "Why?"

Alder shrugged and leaned against the wall with his arms behind his head. "I'm just trying to make small talk and I just wanted to know."

"I actually have to work with him on that after this shift is over." I rested my head on top of my arms and closed my eyes.

"Some of the men were talking about how spoiled you are and how you take your position not so seriously. Since you were adopted and all that. They think you take it as an advantage."

I looked up at him and frowned. "I take this job very seriously. Kinnley just came and adopted me, I didn't choose that. If anything, I take this job seriously for Kinnley's sake. He's the one that adopted me, and taking this job seriously is my way of thanking him."

Alder looked me in the eyes. "I know that. That's why I stood up for you when they were talking trash about you." He laughed nervously and looked up at the stars. "You're very easy to read, and you put all of your emotions through your fighting. I'm faerie, and one thing I learned from my parents is the ability to learn a persons story through their fighting. It's any kind of fighting, hand combat, swords, guns, cannons, anything." He looked at me and smiled. "I already know everything about you. Including the fact that you and the elf are lovers."

My eyes widened and I drew my sword up to his neck almost immediately. "If you tell a single soul, I will personally make sure that you won't live to see another sunrise. Is that clear?"