The Masquarade Ball

It's the day of the Masquerade Ball. Guards were uniformed and stationed everywhere and on high alert. Royalty spent their time at the castle relaxing, As for me, well I was at the seamstress. I stood on the platform in the middle of the room with my arms spread out. To say that I loved the dress was an understatement. It was surprisingly comfortable which was something I was thankful for.

"Thanks for doing this for me Maria. I really appreciate it."

"Anything for you Kava. Out of everything I've created, I do have to say that this dress is one of my favourites."

I smiled. "I'm happy to hear that."

"Oh, and I also created a mask for you. It's black and will complement the dress perfectly."

"Maria, you really didn't have to-"

"I know but I wanted to." She looked up at me and smiled.

"I'm just going to have to stick fighting knives somewhere I can get to easily." I said frowning.

"Ah, yes. There are two hidden sheaths in the ruffles of the dress near you're waist." Maria showed me.

"You always are on top of things."

"Well I wouldn't be much of a seamstress if I didn't know my clients."

I giggled. "I guess not."

Someone bursted through the doors, surprising Maria and I. "Maria are you sure this is a good colour for my skin?" Cole looked up at me with wide eyes. "Oh, sorry I didn't think you had someone."

"No, no it's fine." Cole's eyes trailed slowly up my body and to my face. I was blushing slightly, but I didn't look away from him. He was wearing grey pants and black polished boots with a tight black button up jacket. It outlined the shape of his shoulders and made me realise how broad he really was. Maria was talking to him, but I doubt he was listening. He had a smirk on his face and I realised I was staring. I stuck my tongue out at him, making him chuckle.

"Maybe silver would look better? I just thought that black would be for you, but maybe not. Yes, silver and black. Funny, you and Kava will sort of be matching." Maria sent me a nonchalant wink, making the blush permanent on my cheeks. Cole laughed and I huffed.

"Maria are we done? I need to go and make sure that the guards know their posts and everything."

"Oh, yes. Let me just fix some things around you're waist and then you can change." When she finished, I walked behind the divider and Maria helped me get out of my dress. I walked out from behind the divider in my pants, boots, sword and shirt. I pulled my hair up into a plait. "I love that dress and everything, but I'm so comfortable right now."

Maria laughed. "I'm glad you love it. Now shoo, I have more people to see."

"Alright, alright." I looked at Cole. "I don't know when I'll see you again, as I'm probably going to be stuck doing paperwork for Kinnley. So see you at the ball later tonight."

Cole nodded and kissed me briefly when Maria had her back turned. "Don't work to hard."

~

Today was absolutely crazy. Maids were running everywhere helping princesses and ladies, the kitchens were busy, and as for me, I was busy making sure the guards were in line.