041

final chapter.....

had to go out with a bang, right??

keep your eyes out for info about the sequel!!!

December 25th, 2023

"Merry Christmas!" Taylor squealed at the top of her lungs, jumping up on the bed. Elara, not feeling so energetic at seven in the morning, groaned before rubbing her eyes awake. Taylor was smiling in front of her, reaching down to kiss her cheek.

"Too early for this Tay. I'll celebrate Jesus after I sleep more." She mumbled out, closing her eyes. Taylor was not fond of this answer, and started jumping on the bed right next to Elara to wake her up. Finally, accepting her defeat, Elara sat up, yawning. "Why are you up so early? It's just a holiday."

"I think you forgot I grew up on a Christmas tree farm. Christmas is in my bones, Elara! Wake up, it's time to open gifts!" Taylor squealed, and Elara smiled at her girlfriend.

She loved everything about her. The way she acted like an excited kid on holidays was just another thing on the (very) long list.

Elara mumbled some incoherent words as she stood up out of bed, practically dragged by Taylor to the highly decorated living room.

The couple had spent the last two weeks excessively decorating for the holiday. There were two Christmas trees in their house, both of them being real which creeped Elara out slightly. She had only ever seen the plastic fake ones.

Lights were hanging up all around the outside of the house, along with big blow up reindeer across the roof. Elara thought it was obnoxious, but seeing the grin on Taylor's face was enough to allow her to keep it.

Elara never really celebrated Christmas growing up. At least, she stopped after her mom died. So she didn't have any traditions. Except for one she had with her friends.

"We can't open gifts yet! We have to do it right before bed so we sleep with a smile." The beginning of that tradition started when Elara was twenty. She was celebrating Christmas alone that year, and Lucy made her promise to wait until the evening to get on the phone with her and open the present she had gotten her on facetime. It became a yearly thing, even when she celebrated with people. It kept her excited all throughout the day.

Taylor pouted her lips. "But- Okay. Can we go make those gingerbread cookies you mentioned yesterday."Elara nodded, and Taylor jogged over to the kitchen, already having a mixing bowl out and grinning ear to ear.

Elara snickered, walking over to the pantry to grab all of the supplies and ingredients, along with some extra things she found that could be used to decorate the treats.

When everything was set out, Taylor got busy mixing everything together. Elara would hand her an ingredient to put in the bowl, and she'd pour it in, usually swatching a taste before putting it in.

As they rolled out the dough and began cutting out festive shapes, Elara felt her heart fill, an empty hole she was missing being filled in. Ever since her mom died, she had forgotten how to enjoy a holiday. Instead, she just grieved the missing person.

But with Taylor, she felt like she was complete. She didn't need anyone except for her. She just needed the one person to make her content. She didn't need an entire party, attempting to fill the void only the blonde could fill.

When the cookies were placed inside of the oven, Elara gave Taylor a soft kiss on her cheek. "How long do you want me to set the timer for?"

"I don't know, I just keep looking at it until they're done."