Chapter One

(Skylar's POV)
Cora, Chase, and I sat on the cold basement floor. We each had a messenger bag with the few things from home we were going to take with us outside Battery City. I had a notebook, pencils, markers, a CD player with headphones, and the only three CDs I've ever had.
Cora had on her mother's dark pink tee on, tied in the back with a hair tie. We all wore black jeans, well, it was the only color other than white we had. I wore my Green Day American Idiot tee, also tied in the back with a hair tie. Chase wore our father's Legend of Zelda tee.
"Hey, C-Cora, do you have a paper clip?" Chase asked our friend/sister as he fumbled with the locked white box which contained spare ray guns.
"Yeah." Cora dug a silver parer clip out of her pocket and passed it towards my older brother.
"Thanks." Chase unbent the clip, and fumbled with the lock for a minute. It soon popped open with a click.
We each grabbed out a ray gun. The three of us ran upstairs from the basement. I peeked out the curtain to see the dimly lit night streets of Battery City.
"It's go time." I whispered.

As we wandered down the dark alleyways, we all kept a sharp eye out for any Draculoids. None of us spotted any, but our luck soon ran out. As we neared the tunnel to freedom, a small squad of Dracs were heading our way.
Lazer beams were firing everywhere. Cora and I held defense as Chase hot wired a black sports car.
A Drac came at me with a dagger, but to my horror, Cora stepped in the way.
Her right eye was pierced by the blade, and blood ran down the side of her face. She screamed in agony.
"Cora! Why the hell did you do that?!" I screamed. I had already lost my parents, I didn't want to lose my best friend.
"Girls, get in the car!" Chase yelled over at us. We practically dove into the back seat. My brother drove off towards the outside of Battery City as fast as he could.