Chapter 7

Dana's POV

I sat on the bed, legs crossed, songbook in hand. "So after the "Because I can show you something different" should be a little "Nanana yah" thing," Louis said, tapping his pencil on my notebook. "Yah, and rise the last "na" a little, and maybe draw out the "yeh" so it sounds cooler," I suggested. He nodded and scribbled down the notes, his hand brushing mine as he wrote on my notebook. "Are you nervous?" he asked, biting on a carrot. "Yes. What about you?" "What do you think?" "Yes." He nodded and fed me a bite of carrot. I chewed thoughtfully. "We could've signed up together. I'm an idiot." Louis sighed before saying, "Dana, you're not an idiot! It was just to make sure one didn't have to suffer just because the other did." I smiled a little and nodded. "Glad you think so, Lou." He gave me a reassuring smile before returning back to singing softly. "What comes after the second chorus?" Louis asked, scooting closer to me and leaning in next to me. He was inches from my lips, sitting right next to me. I should tell him now. "Lou-" "Oh ya, that's right," he mumbled, singing the right line. "Louis," I said loudly. He glanced at me, blue eyes questioning. "It's just... I think you should sing a little higher right then," I lied. He actually sang it perfectly. "Too high," I noted as he sang. "You know what? Just do it like you did." "Are you alright?" He looked concerned. "Uhm, yeh." Another lie. "You can tell me anything." "I know." Yes, I did know. But I knew this was something I shouldn't say. How could I possibly tell my best friend I was in love with him? It made no since. "Alrighty, well I should be getting ready for tomorrow. I need rest. You do, too," he said, pushing a curl out of my face. "I love you," I said. "I love you, too. You're my sister. Forever." Of course. That's all I was.

Louis's POV

I looked at Dana and tried not to tell her what I was dying to say. "Alrighty, well I should be getting ready for tomorrow. I need rest. You do, too." I gently pushed one of her loose curls back. I love you," she said. I knew she did. As a best friend. As a brother. I smiled a fake smile. "I love you, too. You're my sister. Forever." She nodded and laid down. Why couldn't I just tell her? I laid next to her and fell asleep. The next morning I woke up and stretched. "Time to go," I said, nudging Dana. She frowned. "Time to go, Lou."

Dana's POV

As I walked onstage, I pushed a loose curl behind my ear and thought of Louis. My curls were pinned to the back of my head. I had on a flowy blue and purple tank top, dark skinny jeans, and shiny purple flats. I loved my stylist to death. "Dana! You've come a long way," Simon said as I walked out. "So we're ready to hear your amazing voice," Demi added. "So you'll be singing Our Song by Taylor Swift?" Brittany asked. (I know there's American songs in here, I don't know many famous British songs, sorry.)

I was riding shotgun With my hair undone In the front seat of his car He's got a one-hand feel On the steering wheel The other on my heart I look around, turn the radio down He says, "Baby is something wrong?" I say, "Nothing, I was just thinking How we don't have a song" And he says...

[Chorus:] Our song is the slamming screen door, Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window When we're on the phone and you talk real slow 'cause it's late and your mama don't know Our song is the way you laugh The first date: "Man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have" And when I got home ... 'fore I said amen Asking God if he could play it again

I was walking up The front porch steps After everything that day Had gone all wrong And been trampled on And lost and thrown away Got to the hallway, Well on my way To my lovin' bed I almost didn't notice All the roses And the note that said...

[Chorus:] Our song is the slamming screen door, Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window When we're on the phone and you talk real slow 'cause it's late and your mama don't know Our song is the way you laugh The first date: "Man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have" And when I got home ... 'fore I said amen Asking God if he could play it again

I've heard every album, listened to the radio Waited for something to come along That was as good as our song...

[Chorus:] 'Cause our song is the slamming screen door, Sneakin' out late, tapping on his window When we're on the phone and he talks real slow 'cause it's late and his mama don't know Our song is the way he laughs The first date: "Man, I didn't kiss him, and I should have" And when I got home ... 'fore I said amen Asking God if he could play it again Play it again

I was riding shotgun With my hair undone In the front seat of his car I grabbed a pen And an old napkin And I wrote down our song

I finished it up and smiled. The judges couldn't give feedback for the last performances, so I walked off. Louis flashed me a thumbs up as we went up and sand. I smiled as he finished. He jumped down and hugged me tightly. He pulled back and looked at me. "I need to tell you something," we said at the exact same time. I giggled and he smiled shyly. Shyly? He never held back like that. "You first," I said. "Louis! Dana! Back onstage!" a stage manager yelled. Lou took my hand and we walked out together. "So. We wanna get this out of the way," Brittany said. "The winner of 2013 X-Factor is... Louis Tomlinson!" Demi said. Louis widened his eyes. I hugged him. "Sorry," he mumbled into my hair. I shook my head and smiled. "I'm proud of you." "Hold on!" Simon said loudly. We turned. "Now. You two tried to go as a pair. But you, Dana, decided to go on your own so that if you got voted off, Louis would stay. That is full companion and care. I love you two together. So we decided to let you share the spotlight. So you are the 2013 WINNERS!" Simon yelled happily. "I'm signing you two together." I didn't understand. Together? "Together!" Louis yelled, squeezing me. "Ohmygawsh! We're officially famous!" I smiled, hugging him back. "I have something to say!" Louis said into the mike. What was he doing? "Dana and I are not a couple. But I'm in love with her. So, Dana. I know you think it would ruin everything. But would you like to take the chance and be my girlfriend?" Louis looked at me and smiled. I was so shocked. "Yes," I said, hugging Louis. I ignored the "Awwe"s and "So sweet"s and just looked at Louis. He smiled and kissed me. "Yay!" Demi cheered. Yay! I said to myself. Finally. Everything I wanted. Or, well, what I thought I wanted.

Glad I still have this story! I love it! ~Mrs. Styles