Chapter: 24

Lucy's POV

"Is everyone alright?" I coughed as the dust settled around us.
"I think so." Wendy called over doing a head count.
"That's a relief." I sighed and leaned against a wall.
"Great so let's get out of here!" Natsu jumped over to me.
"We can't."
He pouted "Can't you portal us out of here?"
I nodded slowly "Yes, but it will take some time." He tilted his head in confusion and I sighed "Natsu it will take most of my magic to keep the portal open long enough to get everyone through, plus I haven't fully recovered from the last portal... We will Just have to wait awhile so get comfortable."
He slid down the wall and sat on the floor, I slid down next to him and laid my head on his shoulder.
"Luce... Can I talk to you?"
I lifted my head and looked him in the eye "Of course you can Natsu."
He took a shakey breath and looked around the dusty room. With Wendy tending to the wounded and Romeo helping we were alone in our little corner.
"I-I want you to know how much you mean to me Luce and I might not get another chance."
I looked at him in confusion "Natsu... I know what I an to you, I'm your best friend you don't need to tell me."
He sighed and shook his head "No Luce... You are more to me then Just a friend."
My breath caught in my throat... Was he...? "Natsu... I"
He put a finger on my lips to keep me from talking. "Luce, I've felt this way for a while Now... " I felt heat rise to my cheeks and my heart start to beat faster. "I'm-"
"Lucy!" I looked across the room to see Wendy calling me, I looked back to Natsu I felt torn.
"Go Luce, she needs you."
I smiled at him "We'll talk later."
I walked quickly over to Wendy who was fussing over Bisca. "Wendy?"
She spun around to face me "Lucy! The dust! It's choking the kids we need to get them out of here, now!"
I nodded and quickly opened a portal and ushered everyone through.
We came out in Magnolia's forest and when I looked towards the city I could see the smoke coming up from where the guild hall once stood and our friends still fighting.
"We need to go help them." Natsu said stepping up beside me.
"You two go, I'll handle things here."
I glanced at Wendy "Are you sure?"
She smiled "They need you."
I looked back to Natsu "Shall we?"
He grinned "I thought you'd never ask."
As we raced towards the fighting I couldn't help but wonder... Was he about to tell me that he loves me? Do I even love him back? I glanced over at him and realized that I knew my answer.