Chapter 17

(Ash's POV)

It had been two weeks since I'd last seen Misty, two weeks from her insane temper tantrum, and if she ever heard me calling it that she'd probably want round two. Two weeks since I'd realized I'd made the biggest mistake of my life.

No, my mistake wasn't driving Zachariah to break up with her. I would never regret that, even if I never spoke to Misty again. My mistake was not showing that I loved her. I sighed deeply and sat on the couch. I was going to give her space, time, and apologizes, but I wasn't going to give up on us.

Brock sat down next to me. He was the bridge to the gap between Misty and I. He touched my shoulder and I turned towards him. "She's still upset, but she's getting over it." He gave me a small wry smile, "I don't think next time you see her she'll try to kill you."

I shrugged, I deserved it, probably not the punches, but the anger she threw my way. I knew she'd be upset, but I didn't think she'd be that upset. I guessed it was a pent up anger that she finally released. "You're a great friend you know that."

"I'm doing it for her. If she didn't light up every time I said your name you'd be on your own." Brock shrugged again. "Give her a few more weeks, your plan on making her forgive you won't go over so well if she's still breathing fire when she sees you."

I groaned and sank further into the couch. "It's hard waiting for her."

"She waited for you, for much longer I might add. Ash, honestly, she watched you with May. You know how you were with May." He waited for me to respond, "She gave up because she wanted you to be happy."

"Well does she still want me to be happy?"

"Of course."

"Then I want her."

Brock rolled his eyes and turned from by me. He was getting frustrated I could tell, "Don't you see what's wrong with that statement. Don't you see what's wrong with this conversation?" His voice had started rising and I glared at him in response, "This whole thing is about you. It's about what you want."

"It's about Misty!"

"No it's about you wanting Misty! You're worried about yourself! You want to be happy! What about her? She has done everything in her to make you happy!" Brock had stopped yelling but he shook his head and went to stand up. "She loves you, Ash, so much. But she's hurting. Do something for her and not for you."

I was angry now. I wasn't so selfish that I didn't care about what Misty wanted. I knew she wanted me, but after everything if she wouldn't have me I'd walk away. I want nothing more than her happiness. I hissed, "Shut up. I love her. Are you going to help me with my plan or not?"

"I'm helping, but do me a favor. These next few weeks while you get everything planned, look at yourself. Fix whatever it is with yourself, because rather you realize it or not, you're selfish." Brock walked off, probably to go see Misty and continue to put his neck on the chopping block for me.

I took a deep breath and flopped on my side. I hated to think that Brock was right, but he probably was. So I sat and thought about it.

It was a day later when I called May. I needed to apologize to her, I put her through a lot of crap. Our split hadn't been as amicable as I would've said it was, I knew I broke her heart, and I needed to make amends. She didn't deserve that. I was surprised she even picked up the phone.

"Ash?" I could hear the surprise in her voice. I told her that we couldn't communicate anymore. I didn't want to think about the wounds I was opening up right now.