Chapter Forty-Two

Josh's head fell back against the door, his eyes searching the ceiling for answers he knew he wouldn't find.

She hadn't even looked back as she'd slammed the door.

It was beyond frustrating. Every time he made progress with Nikki, something knocked them back.

"Come and finish your drink, give her time to wok through what happened."

Roxy emerged from the bathroom with her head cocked and her eyes sympathetic. Josh sighed and shook his head.

"I can't leave her in there feeling so ... hopeless. She needs me."

"She needs time. If you try and force your way in there you're going to make things worse. The poor girl is being swallowed by her Power and she has no understanding of—"

"I know what Nikki's feeling, Rox." Josh bit quietly. He shook his head, annoyed with himself for taking out his frustrations on his friend. "Sorry. I didn't mean to snap."

His companion watched him before shrugging. "Doesn't matter what I say, you're not moving from that door, are you?"

He smiled sadly. "Nope."

"Fair enough. Wait here, I'll go get you a fresh drink."

Leaning forward she ruffled his hair before disappearing down the corridor. She knew the affliction of suffering your charges emotion, although not quite to this extend. Descending the stairs she tried to ignore the dread that churned in her stomach as she recalled the one and only time she'd witnessed such a bonding. She closed her eyes briefly and offered up a silent prayer for Josh. If this situation headed down that road he was going to need all the help he could get.

In the kitchen Roxy found her young charge sat with his phone in his hands. His mop of brown curls were untidily ruffled as he absently pulled his hands through them.

"What's up Jake, you look lost."

His green eyes rose from the small device in his hands and searched Roxy. "I'm trying to Google something but I'm not getting very far."

"Maybe I can help?"

Jake shrugged looking every bit the teenager.

"I can't help if you won't let me."

He sighed. "I'm looking for Unus. Sam mentioned it whilst we were in town but--"

"You want to know what's going on?" Roxy closed her eyes briefly. "Okay, you deserve that much. You know the basics, that there are two demon worlds fighting over earth, well they are ruled by two very different demons. The first world is Mortemb. Malus Deamn is king there and he rules all the Blood Hounds and their side. The other world is called Latébris and that's where Unus rules, only Unus isn't exactly a living demon. He ... It is made up of four different demons, or at least their collective conscience. Separately they're called the Four Prophets of Latébris but when they join, their powers become ridiculously strong." She searched Jakes face but he only looked eager for more. "Back in the city, Nikki tried to take her own life. She jumped from a balcony but somehow she ended up in Latébris, in the chambers of Unus who said he had caught her. Next thing we know she's back in her hotel room with a few jumbled memories."

"Huh. So they don't want her dead?"

Roxy made her way over to her charge and squeezed his shoulder. "No, no I don't think they do."

"That can't be a good thing."

She smiled ruefully at his ability to read between the lines.

"No, I don't think it is."