Chapter 1 The Test

"(Y/N),"  I sighed at the sound of my mothers voice interrupting my 'I'm awake but will lay in my bed forever pretending like nothing exists' time. "Coming!" I sat up on my bed and quickly looked in the mirror.

        Oh the bed head is real. I quickly brushed my hair down from its gravity defying state and pulled it into a ponytail as I rushed down stairs to face today's hell. "Morning mom." She set down the dish she was washing and made her way to me. "Here," she said as she put a full piece of paper into my hand. "A list of supplies we need and groceries. Here's enough money to pay for everything. Be back here before lunch rush." I nodded and went upstairs to quickly get dressed.

             I put on a tank top, a fishnet shirt over that, and then my (f/c) short sleeved hoodie that was now half a hoodie on me over that. Ah layers. Despite them being very thin layers, they brought me incredible comfort. Next came on the skirt that I had sewn shorts into. The cuteness of a skirt. The practicality of shorts. It was perfect.

              I stuck my hand out my window to see how breezy it would be today. I smiled at the result and pulled on some footless socks that went a bit above my knees. I put on the blue sandals I had received from my mother randomly a few years back as I stumbled out my bedroom door.

           I stopped before getting out fully and grabbed two things from my dresser. My leather belt pouch thing that I loved so much, 'It fits so perfectly into the curve of my hip and there is so much room for things.', and a leather holster that I made to fit my thigh. I put on the belt and strapped the holster on.

I slipped two kunai into the holster and checked in the mirror to make sure you couldn't see an outline of it.
As calm as this village is, I am not taking chances.
.
.
.
My mother and I live alone. She owns a restaurant that's popular for its wide range of foods, and I just kinda help. I'll fetch supplies, carry inventory, help cook, and occasionally be a waitress.

            The first things are easy. Nothing really changes around here so everything we need is always around. Inventory is fun for me. Not only do I get a workout from carry around heavy boxes, I also get to improve my mind by using numbers and other factors to predict the amount of inventory we will need next time. Cooking is no trouble, and I'm constantly learning new things from it. And then there is being a waitress....

             I'm not exactly a 'people person'.  Other people are always so full of themselves. All that matters is how they feel and what they ordered. I learned quickly that they don't respond well to the truth, so lying has been keeping me entertained as I served those pricks.

             Smile and suck up. Tell people what they want to hear.  "Got it! And you're shirt is lovely by the way!~ I've never seen one like it!"  Then bam. Heavy tipping and a happy me.

          Lying was hard at first. I was young and brutally honest. "Got it. And glaring at the back of my head while I take other orders will not make me go faster. You're selfish view on things makes you less of a person to me.." 

             After a few slappings from mother I learned that telling it how it is won't get me anything. Lying on the other hand~~ People were more polite, tipped more, and I was improving all the time.
I mean if I'm going to be a great ninja I'll need to learn to deceive my opponents anyways!~
.
.
.
. .
            I made my way weaving through the crammed market to get the usual things on the list. When I thought I had everything I checked the list again. "Hm?" I raised an eyebrow as I read something that was in a different color than the rest of the writing. 'Drop off inventory at the back'.

             I swear this woman can never make up her mind. She never wants me to put things out back because she's afraid of rats or something getting it. Something in the bottom of my stomach was telling me something wasn't right about it.