Chapter 6 Written Exam!

Chūnin Exams?  My village didn't participate in anything by that name. But it is apparently a big deal around here.

We only had a few weeks to prepare. 'Is that enough time?'   Kakashi let out a small laugh and patted my head.

"Don't worry (Y/N). I wouldn't have volunteered you guys if you weren't ready."

I nodded silently. Despite his reassurance I couldn't help but doubt. I haven't been involved in this stuff as much as the others. Even how chakra works still isn't 100% clear to me.

Someone's knee gently pushed on my back. I turned around to see Sasuke. Blank expression as always.

"Hey. If you want we can train together."

He looked away slightly and I could've sworn I saw some color on his cheeks.

"Yeah. I'd like that."

I heard the a 'Hump.' Come from Sakura. Oh yeah.  She has that fan girl love crazy thing.

I looked at Sakura and then back to Sasuke. He sighed and slumped a little.

"I'll ask her if she wants to just us.."

I smiled, "Thanks."

He walked off with a 'yeah, yeah'.  I stood up and dusted myself off.

"Hey (Y/N). Come here for a second."

I walked over to where Kakashi sensei was.

"What's up sensei?"

He looked at me and sighed.

"Listen. I understand that you don't know as much as the others do, but don't let that become your disadvantage.  You have great strength and great skill. I will be too busy to train any of you, so I want you to focus on chakra control and maybe read a few text books so you can better understand everything.  And even though I do love you more simplistic strategies such as tackling and dog piles,  you may want to work on those too. Because you won't always be able to get close enough for those. "

I let the words sink in for a second. 'Chakra control, textbooks, strategy. Got it.'

"I understand."

He smiled through his mask. "Great." 

With that he walked off and I walk towards my team mates.

"You guys ready to start?"

•Three weeks later•

I've spent almost all my time with training. Iruka gave me textbooks that leveled from elementary to as advanced as he could get.

Those were now scattered around my room with a pile of finished ones. Pages marked on things that I that might be important or that I would need to look back on.  Others open everywhere. Me trying to piece everything together to understand it to the best of my abilities.

To understand strategy better I reviewed all kinds of documented battles and wars. Figuring out where things went wrong. I even asked a boy from another squad to help. That took awhile because everything to him was 'a drag'. But finally he helped me.

All that was left was chakra control. I didn't get what I'm missing. Sasuke and I spar all the time. Sometimes for hours on end. Then I saw a picture in one of the text books of a person walking on top of water.

With a tree it was solid and still. Once you figured out the right amount you were good. But water is constantly moving. And you have to constantly change the amount of chakra you use.

Once I saw this I immediately set out for the pond that was a little far from the usual training area.  'Should I invite Sasuke?'  No. It was already late at night.