Chapter 10

It's really happening. Tomorrow is the final exams, and I don't think I could be more nervous than what I am. Something in my gut is telling me this exam will cause a huge shift depending on how to goes.

I don't know if I'm ready for it. Right now I wish Sasuke was here, but I haven't seen him in weeks.  Everyone else is trying really hard, but I don't know what else to work on.

I've built up more physical strength, worked really hard on controlling my chakra even better than before, and even learn a few jutus. And as much as I would like to train today, I've already made plans.

Today Shikamaru and I were playing a board game.

Again.

It's basically a daily thing now.

So far, we are tied in loses and wins and have handful of draws. It's more than just the game I like though.

He and I talk pretty openly about everything. Our comrades, training, likes, dislikes, situations going on, personal feelings about things. 

I'd say we are becoming close friends. Well, closer than I am with the others.  I talk with everyone else, but it's not like with Shikamaru. Although, I keep wondering if Sasuke and I could talk like Shikamaru and I can talk to each other.

It didn't take long to get to the usual spot for the game. We both took our seats and set up the board.

"So (Y/N)," Shikamaru moved his piece, "you think you're ready for tomorrow?"

I moved my piece.

"I don't know."

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Don't know huh?  Have you been training?"

He moved another piece, and I quickly moved mine, shaking the board as I harshly set it down.

"Of course I have! I've been working my butt off to make sure I'm ready!"

He leaned forward and I looked at his earring instead of his eyes.

"Then why are you worried? You're going against that sound ninja right? They're a little unpredictable, but we know quite a few of their tricks."

I helped him readjust the pieces to their correct positions.

"Yeah... But what if I make a huge mistake by underestimating them?"

He moved his piece and it clicked as it made contact with the board.

"Then don't underestimate anyone. If you don't know exactly what they have up their sleeves, you're better to overestimate."

"You say that like it's some sixth sense I should have."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours passed before Shikamaru and I decided to call a draw so we could get something to eat.

With a bit more thought, I was able to convince myself I was as ready as I could be for tomorrow. Worrying would only bring me down at this point.

We walked into the ramen shop, not at all surprised to see Naruto inhaling his food.  We waved and took our seats beside him.

He made a loud slurping sound before finally swallowing him food.

"Hey guys! Who won this time?!"

Shikamaru ordered, leaving me to answer Naruto's questions for the day.

"We decided on a draw," I let out a small laugh, "too hungry to keep going. You know?"

Naruto flashed a huge grin.