Sunshine

4

I was driving in my old Volvo 300. The fluffy car decoration dices were swiping from left to right. I was listening to the local radio as I made my way from work to the police station.

I got out of my car and locked it. The car was sticking out from the others with its light mustard yellow color.

I made my way into the entrance and took a waiting ticket. I sat down in one of the chairs.

After waiting for a long time, it was finally my turn. I told the receptionist why I was there and she told me that she would call down someone for me.

- He'll be here any minute, take a seat while you wait, the dark skinned lady told me.

I nodded and sat down again. An older man with a grey suit came into the reception. I stood up and he walked over to me.

- Joey Lawson, he introduce himself and shook my hand.

- I'm Jessamy Atkins, I answered.

- Very well, follow me.

We walked in silence until we reach a door. He opened it and stepped out of the way for me to enter. I walked in and saw a table with two chairs on each edge of it.

- Please sit down, I heard him say behind me.

I walked to the chair that was furthest away and sat down. He closed the door and sat down on the other chair.

He looked through some of the documents that were piled up right next to him.

- So, I've read about the crime that occurred in your apartment last night, he said while trying to find the right papers.

He seemed to have found what he was looking for and looked up at me.

- So, did you know this person?

- I don't think so, I answered slowly.

I clearly felt that I had a memory of that guy, but I just couldn't find it. It was like a fog between me and the memory. It was as if I could only see a few letters here and there, but it could not match into sentences.

- You've never seen him before?

- Not what I remember, I swallowed.

- Now, I want you to explain exactly what happened.

I told him about everything.

- Okay, but how would you describe his eyes and mouth?

- His eyes were brown... I said while frowning a bit.

- His mouth?

- It looked... average I guess.

I felt ashamed really. I probably didn't help the investigation a single bit.

- So, you do not know this person at all?

That was the thing. I had met this person before, I knew that. But something was blocking my memory.

- I'm not sure.

- What does that mean? He frowned.

- I don't know him, but he seems familiar, I replied.

He asked me some more questions and I gave him unsure answers back.

- Thank you, Miss Atkins, he said while collecting all his papers.

- No worries, really.

I left the police station and walked over the parking lot to my car. It was sunny outside and I felt like I should enjoy the weather. School just started and fall was coming, there might not be that many sunny days left for this year.