River

2

- You're diagnosed with retrograde amnesia, the doctor told me.

- What does that mean? I asked him. I felt really dull and tired. I had a hard time trying to stay focused and listen. And the more focused I tend to be the more headache I would get.

- You are suffering from memory loss connected to the past, he told me.

- Will I never be able to remember my past? I gasped.

- Well, it looks like it's just a temporarily memory loss. You shouldn't worry too much. Your memories will probably come back by themselves, the doctor explained.

- That's a relief, I breathed out.

- All you need to do now is to rest.

I looked at the old man. He had wrinkles all over his face and thin white hair. His grey eyebrows looked like two bushes. His oval shaped glasses made his eyes appear much bigger. He looked very wise and calm. This hospital was filled with calm and kind workers, it felt like a sanctuary.

The man fixed his glasses and then stood up. A name tag adorned his white doctor coat.

- Thank you, Mr. Davies, I said before he left.

- On regards, he smiled.

A weird feeling spread out into my body. How could I not remember?

I rested in my bed for a while. But then my stomach groaned. I slowly stood up and made my way to the cafeteria. The lunch ladies greeted me with smiles and gave me the food I wanted. I looked around for an empty table.

Only a few minutes after I sat down, someone tapped my right shoulder. I looked behind it, but there was no one there. Then someone tapped my left shoulder. I quickly spun around and saw a male figure stand right next to me.

- River! I shouted and threw myself at him with joy.

- Hello, there Amy, he laughed into my hair.

- I'm so glad to see you! I told him sincerely.

We hugged each other for a while. River was my closest friend and he meant so much to me. Some long seconds passed and we finally let go of each other.

- So, how are you feeling? He asked me.

- I'm alright, I answered.

- You got me really worried you know, he frowned.

- But I'm fine now, I just have a temporary amnesia, I said.

- Amnesia?

- Yeah, but most of my memories came back already, I assured him.

- So you remember me? He joked.

I pretended like I didn't know him and he lightly hit my head.

- What is it that you don't remember then? He asked.

- How can I remember that? I laughed.

- Oh, right, he smiled.

~

- I should have picked Ethan instead, he shook his head.

That hit me like a rock in the stomach. How could he say that?

- You just keep disappointing me! How could you let go off that guy like that? He sighed.

- I'm sorry, I said through clenched teethes.