Rita

9

I woke up by a loud repeating sound and basically jumped out of bed. I realized that there was an alarm clock on the nightstand that rang loudly. It was 6.30 AM.

- You have ten minutes to prepare yourself for breakfast, a female robot voice said.

I had no idea where that voice came from. But I didn't have time to think about that.

I forced myself to quickly take a shower, change into some casual clothes and brush my hair.

The voice kept calling out how much time I had left.

- You have eight minutes to prepare yourself for breakfast.

- You have six minutes to prepare yourself for breakfast.

- You have four minutes to prepare yourself for breakfast.

- You have two minutes to prepare yourself for breakfast.

- Now you shall begin your breakfast. Enter 3rd floor overground.

A few people came out from their rooms and walked over to the elevator. I followed them close behind and slid into the elevator right before it closed.

The cafeteria was pretty crowded and I had no idea where to sit. Everyone was wearing uniforms so I felt like I really stood out.

- Educated weapon developers shall now begin their program, please gather on the 7th floor, underground, the female voice called out.

A group of people from one table stood up and brought their empty plates and trays to the dishes. One of them looked a bit familiar. He had dark and short styled hair and fair skin. His strong eyebrows made me sense that he wasn't very friendly. What made him stand out was that he wasn't wearing a uniform. He just wore a simple black t-shirt, a pair of baggy jeans with chains and worn out sneakers. Our eyes met and I quickly looked away. When I looked back he was gone.

I walked over to the kitchen. I was shocked that the lunch ladies were robots. One of them scanned me.

- Your height is 166 cm and your weight is 46 kg, the robot began.

I got very embarrassed and hid behind my hair from the people who also were in the line. The robot was made out of silver but was quite human looking. It was short and had blue details.

- No discovered allergies, the robot said.

I just stood there awkwardly as the robot revealed things about me.

- You have no critical health issues and your hormones are unstable due to young age. I'd suggest you eat-

- Hurry up, geez! A guy who stood behind me called out.

The robot just kept talking as it put on food on my tray.

- Don't worry, they scan all newbies, someone behind that angry guy told me calmly.

- But I'm going to be late! Your schedule might be pretty chill Rita, but mine is fucking intense!

- Maybe that's because you need extra help, she answered.

- Don't get on my nerves, ginger, he spat.

I took my plate and sat by an empty table by a trash can. That girl from before came from nowhere and sat down next to me.

- Hi, I'm Rita O'Neill, she smiled and held out her hand.

I shook it and smiled back.

- I'm Jessamy Atkins.