New York

18

A car was waiting outside the plane, on the airport we had landed on. A black man with a fancy black suit stood by the car and Nathaniel was first down to greet him. They chit-chatted for a moment before all of us had gathered in front of the man.

- Welcome to the JFK international airport, he greeted us.

I breathed in the air and it felt like I could smell the American oxygen.

- I'm Jordan Sydney and I'll be your guardian during this business trip, he continued with his well-hidden Texas accent.

The stranger kept talking, but I didn't really pay attention to what he was saying. I was so fascinated by the country I've heard so much about but never visited.

Suddenly everyone walked over to the car. I was squeezed in the backseat between Liam and Riley. Lucas sat in a special-made seat in the trunk, right behind me, while Nathaniel sat in the passenger seat next to Sydney.

When we reached the center of New York City, I was amazed. The buildings were so high and there were so many people everywhere. Everyone seemed to be laughing at my excitement, but I didn't care.

The hotel we stayed at was looking very fancy. My room had a pretty view over the skyscrapers of Manhattan. I sat there and just stared out the window for a long time. I really liked this city, a lot.

Suddenly the door knocked so I hurried across the room to open.

The tall Nathaniel stood in front of me, calmly smirking at the sight of me. He was wearing a nice suit and had styled his hair.

- What are you up to? He asked me as he walked inside.

- N-nothing much, I answered.

- Sounds fun, he said and leaned against my wall, smiling back at me.

How could this innocent sweetheart be a secret agent? It didn't look like he could harm a fly.

- If I'm guessing right, the company's currently searching for us. They will soon try to contact Liam, and I don't want to become the victim of his anger after a phone call from his father. Since I share the same room as him, I thought that I might hang out here since you seem a bit lonely, he said.

- How long do you think it will take before they realize we're here? I asked him since he gave the impression of having all answers to all questions that I could come to think of. 

- Not long, if they don't know it already. It's not that hard to guess that I have something to do with your disappearance. Liam is my best friend and it's pretty weird that he goes missing at the same time as I leave the country, right? Coincidence? I don't think so. And since Lucas is my pilot, it's not weird that you who is his friend and your personal trainer Riley also disappear at the same time.

- Will they come and get us?

- Probably, he said and calmly looked at the view.

- Why are you so relaxed about that?

- They would never catch me. I could easily leave this company without getting brain washed, so they keep me satisfied.

- You sound like you have everyone wrapped around your fingers, I frowned.

- All elites have their own specialties.

I opened my mouth to say something.

- That's all I'm going to tell you, for now. I'm not really allowed to tell anyone about my work, it's too risky.