Murder

18

It looked just like in the movies. It was a big ballroom with a huge staircase and a huge crystal chandelier, much bigger than the one in the designer shop. An orchestra was playing classical music that made it feel so much formal than it already was. The ball floor was filled with styled men and women who mingled with a drink in one of their hands. Waiters with white costume jackets and black trousers and bow ties were circulating around the room with plates of different snacks. Some of the guests were just hanging over the railings upstairs and looked out on the crowds downstairs.

- Austin! Someone in a white suit called out and threw himself onto Nathaniel's back.

He was about the same height as Nathaniel and had bleached hair and blue eyes. At first, I thought Nathaniel was being attacked by this stranger, but his reaction proved me wrong. I hadn't seen anyone that happy for a long time, and couldn't help but smile along with them. But why did he call him Austin?

- This is Jasper Blaze Smith. We studied poetry together in Paris, he introduced the stranger.

- Pleasure to meet you all, he said and shook hands with all of us.

His hands and feet were huge, even compared to his already tall body.

A waiter came and gave us all fancy glasses filled with champagne and Jasper snitched a chocolate dipped strawberry from another bypassing waiter.

- So, how's work nowadays? Nathaniel asked him before sipping on his drink.

- It's actually very calm and not that much to do.

- Really? That doesn't sound like New York at all, Nathaniel laughed surprised.

- Yeah, but I think we've finally learned to not get involved in pretty much everything after what happened last time.

Nathaniel grimaced as he seemed to be remembering the negative event that occurred.

- I actually had a pretty big mission going on recently, but they let the German's take over. I don't complain, though, since I can have more time for myself, Jasper said and licked the remaining chocolate from the strawberry that covered his lips.

Jasper's bright mood suddenly changed and he started speaking fast French to Nathaniel in a low voice. Nathaniel's face turned dead-serious and he nodded understanding to all the babble I couldn't understand that escaped from Jasper's mouth.

- Hey, where did everyone go? Nathaniel suddenly said.

I hadn't noticed, but they all had disappeared.

- Can you go find them, Kin? We have to do something very important, Nathaniel said with big eyes and a deep frown on his forehead.

- Yeah, sure.

- Brilliant, he breathed out and left with Jasper along his side.

I looked around the crowded ballroom and spotted Riley's back as he entered the men's restroom at the other side of the room. I tried to get through the crowd to get to them. I almost tripped a waiter as I squeezed through two older women. He managed to regain his balance and the detailed prepared desserts were saved from falling onto the ground. I excused myself and then hurried along to the restrooms. As I entered I saw Riley hugging a wet Liam. I just stopped and stared confused at them. What was going on? 

~