Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

*Ariel's POV*

I jammed a fist into my mouth, effectively cutting off my screams. For a moment, the world seemed to stop. I had been on my hands and knees, crouching over the ledge where.. where Fili.. A sob caught in my throat as I fell back onto my arse. I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my jaw. My vision was red, rage finally mingling with the grief.

Tears slipped down my face as I looked below to Fili's still form. He laid mangled in the snow, a halo of crimson encircling his form.

Another figure caught my attention. Kili was fighting his way up, slaying everything in his path.

Ariel, Kili, run!

His voice pounded in my head, splitting through all thoughts of rationality. Run. I scrambled to my feet and turned on my heel, taking off across the top of the tower. Blade in my hand, I watched the world go by through eyes full of tears. I yelled defiantly when my body seemed to be whispering, "give up." I would never.

My lungs were on fire, my legs were lead as I descended the tower one story at a time.

"Kili! Ariel!" A deep voice bellowed.

"Thorin!" I screamed back, running harder towards his voice.

"Ariel!" I heard him.

I slashed with my sword as an Orc appeared in front of me. I cut him nearly in half and left the bastard to bleed. I jumped down an entire level and spun around on the spot.

"Thorin!" I yelled, only to be greeted by a snarling below me.

I looked over the ledge and saw Thorin battling Azog.

"Ariel, go!" He cried, dodging the Orc's deadly blow.

Azog had him backed up against a boulder. A blade was at Thorin's throat, pressing so that just a trickle of blood crept down the King's neck. Azog drew back his mace and my mind screamed. I threw myself off the ledge and onto Azog's back.

I screamed deafeningly as I wrapped my arms around his thick neck. I yanked him backwards, off-balance.

"This is for Fili, you son of a bitch!" I cried, my throat tearing with every syllable.

He fell to the ground and I tightened my grip, thinking maybe I could suffocate him.

I could not have been more wrong. Azog threw me away easily once the initial shock wore off. He reared up and shook me loose. I went flying and skittered across the ground. I only stopped when my head hit a rock with a sickening crack. For a moment, black spots danced in my vision. When they cleared, I could see Thorin parrying Azog's every blow.

Azog swiped at him with a blade, and when Thorin was off balance, he knocked Oakenshield back with his mace.

"Thorin!" I yelled as the King tumbled over the edge.

I leapt up and followed the two, as Azog stood over Thorin.

"No!" I yelled and swung my blade at the Orc, drawing his attention to me.

Thorin was still on the ground, panting. I knew I couldn't beat Azog, but I could by Thorin some time. Azog intercepted my blade easily. I yanked it back and thrusted at his stomach with a grunt. Again, he blocked me and took a swing of his own. I ducked and avoided his blow by an inch. Quickly, I stuck out my leg and yanked it behind his. Azog fell onto his back and I lashed out with my blade, only managed to make a deep gash in his calf before he was up again.

He loomed over me, backing me up to a wall. I was sure I was dead until Thorin yelled behind him.

Azog spun around so quickly that his blade caught my cheek unintentionally. Blood oozed from the cut as I held my face in one hand. After a moment, my pain was forgotten and anger roared up within me.