21

I was kneeling on the floor while drilling a screw into two pieces of metal. I was building a time machine, a time machine to see what actually happened to my parents.

I remembered reading from a book that was written in the early 2000s that it was impossible to time travel.

At least time travelling is now possible. Just requires a lot of electromagnetism.

I put my drill down and patted on the slate of metal to make sure it was not loose. I then stood up and looked down at my creation so far.

It reminded me of a tiny rocket ship that was completely made out of metals; it just had the shape of one. In the middle of it was a rectangular hole. That was the space for the source of the machine that would let it come alive and do its job.

I walked over to desk and sat on the chair. I reached over to the shelves that were on the wall in front of me and brought down various materials to start working on the centrepiece.

I smoothed my materials out onto the edges of the desk so that I could have working space. 'Хорошо, время, чтобы--' Alright, time to--

"Russia!" I heard Andrea's voice call out from my right.

I snapped my head to the right, seeing Andrea standing in the middle of the doorway. "Yes?" I asked, feeling irritated that I was interrupted.

She began walking up to me. "What are you doing? Didn't you get the message? You're suppose to be in the training room, we got to work on our skills." She halted in front of me with her hands on her hips.

I looked up at her, wondering which question to answer first. "I didn't get a message."

"Why did everyone else get it then?"

With a huff, I reached over my desk and grabbed my iPad that was stuffed in the corner of my desk. I opened it up and saw the rows of messages from Andrea. "Oh." I placed it down and shrugged. "Oh well."

"Oh well?" She seemed mad at my response. "C'mon, we got stuff to do." She turned around and began walking out from my room.

I need to finish this! I pushed my iPad to the back of my desk and turned back to my materials.

"Russia!" I heard Andrea shout.

"WHA?!" I yelled at her. "I'm doing something! I'm busy!"

She widened her eyes. "What could you be possibly doing that is more important than what you are suppose to be doing?" She crossed her arms.

"I'm building a time machine."

"Why?" She made a confused look.

"I need to find my parents." I grabbed a slate of metal and placed it in front of me.

I didn't hear her say anything. Yes, I got her. Now she can leave. I grabbed a black marker and uncapped it, ready to make the marks on the metal to know where to cut.

But she began speaking to my dismay. "Do you consider what you are doing personal business or HEROES business?"

I looked at her. "Business that needs to get done." I looked back down at my desk and began skillfully drawing a line on the metal.

"Do you think that this is the most important thing to do right now? Do you think you can push it off until later on?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I want to finish it. I'm already doing it."

I sensed her walking up to me; she placed her hand on my desk's top.

I looked up her and pointed her hand dangerously near my slate of metal. "Can you move your hand?"

"Can you put HEROES business before personal business?" she shot back.

I dropped my hands down to the sides of my chair, thinking of what to say. "This can be HEROES business," told her, looking at her from the corner of my eyes.

"How?" She crossed her arms. "I would like to know how time travelling to find your parents has to do with HEROES."

"Because...when I was with The Enemy, he told me that if my parents wanted me back, he would not bother me anymore. And if they didn't want me, then he would keep me in captivity. He told me later on that they didn't want me. But I think that is false. I want evidence to know whether he's lying or not."

Andrea shrugged. "But you escaped either way."

"He's still going to come after me." He lifted my hands back onto my desk. "I got Zashchitnik, so I know how to fight. I'm good. I don't need practice." I continued drawing out lines carefully.

"What about if you lose your gun?"

"That won't happen."

"Don't say that, Russia, 'cause it can happen."

I shook my head as I turned the slate around. "Can you leave?"

"Not until you leave."

"You still don't understand‽" I leaned back against my chair and looked at her. "Really?"

"No, I mean--" She letted out a huge groan. "--it's Poncho's orders, we all have to practice."

"Why are you guys not in the training room?" I heard Poncho's voice say from my right.

We both looked at that direction, seeing him floating into my room on his wheelchair.

"Russia's busy building a time machine!" Andrea exclaimed, extending her hand at me.

"I need to!" I protested. "It's important."

"Ah, a time machine, eh, Russia?" Poncho smiled at me with interlaced fingers on his lap. "Good plan of your's...you should've told me though. But it seems like you know what you're doing." He then looks at Andrea. "Hen, it's fine. Let him build a time machine and go through time."

She turned to him fully. "But, Poncho--"

"No, no, it's fine. Come on, now." His wheelchair turned around smoothly and glided out from the room.

Andrea turned back to me with narrowed eyes. "How did you--? How did Poncho--?"

I shrugged. "I thought we were going to be in trouble with him."

"Hm." She then turned around and walked out of my room.

"Да!" I muttered to myself as I continued working on my time machine. Yes!