Chapter 17, Confronting Mom

Courtney DiLaurentis's Perspective

"Get your freaking paws off of me!" Ali hissed at Jason.  Jason shot Ali an irritated look. 

"Do you want my help or not?" Jason hissed back. "Mom was about to see you peeking out, and you would have blown the whole operation! I just grabbed you back. I touched you for like, five seconds." I turned around to face my squabbling siblings. 

"Will you two shut up? I can't hear Mom!" I whisper-yelled. Ali and Jason looked at each other with disdain. Then Ali made a face at Jason. He rolled his eyes at her. I rolled my eyes at both of them and returned to spying on Mom. She was in the middle of a phone call to my real father. I knew because when she called him, she said 'Peter' instead of Jason's father, Kenneth. 

"Will I be seeing you tonight?" My mom asked, looking excited at the prospect of a chase.  I felt sick. Didn't fidelity mean anything to her? Meanwhile, Ali brightened. I could tell she was tired of sitting on the floor. 

"At 8:00? Won't Veronica be home?" So she did know he had a wife. But she did everything anyway. She deserved to be taken down. Even if she was my mother. 

"Oh, all right. That's good. So, backyard again? Won't Veronica's daughters see us?" I guess my father must have said something back because my mom pursed her lips.

"Yes, fine, Melissa and Spencer are your daughters, but so are Alison and Courtney. They don't even know about you!  You should see your other daughters too. Yes, I mean it! But let's not argue. We'll talk about it after 8:00. Bye!" My mother blew a kiss into the phone. Ali smirked.

"Slut," Ali whispered, giggling. [A/N I do not actually like the word 'Slut'. I personally think it's a terrible word. But Ali just says those kind of things. Just saying. Thanks! Now back to our feature presentation.] Jason and I stared at her. Ali shrugged. 

"You know it's true," she whispered. I decided to move on. 

"All right, so we follow Mom outside at 8:00, catch them in the act-" 

"Then what?" Ali said, interrupting me. 

"Tell them that we know the truth." I said.  

"You do realize that everything could go wrong, right?" Jason asked. Ali rolled her eyes.

"Wow, Jason. You're such an optimist." Ali said loudly.

"Alison! Courtney! Jason! Why are you hiding by the stairs?" My mom asked. Ali's eyes widened.

"Shit!" Ali whispered. Jason looked clueless. 

"Promise you won't laugh, Mom?" I asked, trying to do damage control, and think of a plausible reason as to why we would be skulking around the stairs. 

"Just give me a reason, Alison-" My mom started but I was already protesting.

"I'm Courtney, Mom! That's Ali!" 

"God, Mom, get a freaking clue," Ali said, rolling her eyes. My mother looked  impatient.

"One of you had better tell me what you're doing or I'll-" My mother said angrily (And I detected fear as well), but I had finally figured out an excuse.

"We were looking to see if there were any secret staircases behind this one," I said. "And it's so disappointing. There isn't even a hidden storage room in this house!" I whined. I was a great actress. Ali shot me a glance that said, Nice save. Jason flashed me a thumbs up. My mother looked relieved. 

    "Well, now you know. I would suggest you all get changed so that we can go out for dinner to celebrate having our normal lives back. We're leaving at six." And she left us by the stairwell. We got up.