stolen

I AM SO SORRY.
I went camping for a week and then stayed at my sister's for another and I didn't have my laptop!
I ALSO GOT A PUPPY WHICH ENJOYS WAKING ME UP AT 2 AM TO GO POTTY. YAY

MY GOD
1.15k reads????
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH
for being utter disappointments.

JOKING
SERIOUSLY THOUGH, THIS IS AMAZING AND I'M SO THANKFUL. I cannot thank you all enough!
_____________
I was ushered quickly from room to room, a variety of subtle fragrances following in my wake.

My mother had disappeared, and I was left only in the company of a few middle aged women who were gushy in excitement over the night. They attempted to engage me in their conversation, but with my constant silence they got the hint that tonight was not something to celebrate in my books.

Pins poked into my scalp uncomfortably, but I didn't have the gusto to snap at the woman who payed more attention to each other than in getting me ready.

"Have you heard, I hear he's going to be here." I stout, nasally woman who was in charge of holding my hair up while the pinner pinned whispered to her friend. I watched her through the mirror in front of me.

The pinner looked up, a pin held in her mouth and a look of astonishment brandishing her face. "No, that can't be." she glanced at me quickly before looking back at her nodding friend. "What do you suspect he wants?"

They both stole quick glances at me.

"Do you think..." the pinner trailed off, her face going a shade too pale.

"Oh yes, I believe so." the hair-holder nodded, the simple platt of hair running down her shoulder moving with her.

I glared at each of them silently. I hated when people talked about me as if I wasn't even there. If it was such shocking news you would think they'd have the heart to inform me.

"I've got it!" A high, melodic voice exclaimed. I heard them as they ran on heels through the wooden hall and came into the room.

The tall woman reminded me of a willowy crow. She had angular almond eyes and a very hooked nose that reminded me of a beak. She brandished something white in her hands, and was swinging it around as she approached us.

"Oh thank goodness, you found it." the hair-holder said ushering the crow woman closer to me.

The pinner rolled her eyes and stuck another pin in my hair. "Heaven knows why we still use that thing."

The crow woman shot her a scathing look and placed it out on the table in front of me.  I reached out and grabbed it, running my fingers of the smooth, ivory surface.

It was a tooth.

The tooth of a wolf.

It was a beautiful ivory color, with hints of yellow streaking through it. A gold chain rain through a sawed hole in the larger half of the tooth. A tooth necklace, how strange. It was roughly half the size of my palm, but it was long. I found its tip sharp and rather pointy as I fingered the end.

I glanced up in the mirror at the woman who were cautiously staring at me, their bodies tense and their arms ready to quickly snatch the sharp object back.

I rolled my eyes, " For goodness sake, I'm not going to stake myself. You can relax."

The eased away but never did take their eyes off the object.

"What do I need this for?" I asked.

"For the ceremony of course," the crow woman scoffed as if I were the biggest idiot.