Chapter 15

Sanai

It's been about a week since Reagan gave Skylar and I our pep talks. They were much needed. It really helped me to understand the whole dynamic of the relationship that Skylar and I share. As much as my heart desired to be in a relationship with Skylar, my brain knows that the right thing to do is to just be friends with him. But since we kind of crossed the friend line ad Skylar is adamant about me being his future wife regardless to what Rae says, he said that best friends is a more fitting title. I was cool with it.

Reagan has texted or called me every day just to make sure that I was staying on track. Now I could really see why Skylar loves her so much. I wish I had a sister like her. Well....technically...she is my sister. Or will be in the future anyway.

Today is the first basketball game of the season. Skylar's whole family is flying in and meeting up at the house before the game. Both Reagan and Skylar invited me over. She thought it was only fitting for me to meet the family. She also suggested that I sit with the family at the game which automatically meant that the whole student body would be aware that something was obviously going on between the two of us.

I knew Kai would flip if she found out with the rest of the student body so as I sat waiting for her to finish my hair, I contemplated how I would break the news to her.

"Soooo what are you getting so dolled up for?" she asked. I guess this is it.

"I'm going to the game." I answered her.

"Since when has the game become a big deal for you?" she asked, arching her eyebrow.

"Since I've been in a relationship with the star player of the basketball team." I said making her literally drop her phone.

"SANAI GIBSON, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH SKYLAR JACKSON?!" she exclaimed at the top of her lungs.

"Oh my gosh Kai shut up! I don't need the whole world to know yet!" I said, getting up to close the door to our bedroom.

"How long has this been going on and when were you going to tell me? I thought we were besties Sanai." She said, sounding genuinely hurt.

"Just calm down okay." I instructed her. She took a deep breath and motioned for me to continue.

"Well, we initially met the Sunday before school started. We had poetry together last semester. From there we just got to know each other better. We never went anywhere in public. We mostly chilled in the gym on Sundays." I explained.

"So when you told me you was going to the library all those times, you was really going to spend time with Skylar?" she asked. I nodded my head. "So how are yall a couple if yall never go out together?"

"You don't have to go out in public in order to be recognized as a couple. I mean...our relationship is complicated. We're two people with two worldviews that are totally different. But even though our outlooks on life are different, there's no one else in the world that either of us would rather be with. Our relationship is an uphill battle but we're working on it." I tried to explain. It's hard trying to put our relationship into perspective.

"Hmph...if the both of yall are willing to battle it out constantly, then yall are in love. It aint no way around it, girl." She said, making me blush. "But to be honest, everybody was tryna figure out why Poppa was acting so different. I mean at the parties he stopped getting drunk and started turning down hoes left and right. Now I know why. Girl you got all them hoes out there mad because everybody wanted to get they hands on Poppa."

I didn't know what to say. I just grinned.

"But anyway girl. I'm happy for you. And if any of these hoes try to get at you, I got your back." She said, hugging me tightly.