Chapter 6

Sanai

Kai

Let's meet up once you get out of class. Let's go out for dinner tonight. My treat.

I smiled at the text message that I received from my roommate. I was relieved because after all those classes I had today, I did not feel like cooking.

Cool! Where should I meet you?

Kai

By the gym

My heart rate sped up when I saw her reply. Meeting her at the gym meant that my chances of running into Skylar are quadruple. The gym is his home away from home. It's not that I didn't want to see him, I just don't want everybody to know about what's going on between he and I.

For one, nothing is official between Skylar and I. Its evident that we're feeling each other but he hasn't made a move and I'm too scared to make a move because of my fear of rejection. And two, if my roommates found out, that would make things awkward. Especially because of the way Skylar did Tanisha. I mean, I don't owe anything to her. We're not friends or anything. But I would assume that there's a such thing as roommate loyalties. But, whatever the case, I just don't want everybody to know yet.

I responded to her message and told her that I would be headed her way in about fifteen minutes. Since the professor let us put early that meant I had enough time to go back to the dorms and change. If I was going in the vicinity of the gym I needed to look good.

As I got dressed, I thought about what went down between Skylar and I the last time we met in person. I felt comfortable enough to spill my heart to him but I regretted it. I felt like I let him know too much about me. It put me in a vulnerable space. He could play off my emotions if he really wanted.

I felt like he did that when he called me beautiful. I felt like a freaking charity case. Don't call me beautiful because other people think otherwise. That just makes me feel worse. It's like pouring salt in a wound.I just hope his expression came from a sincere place.

I got rid of the sweats and hoodie that I had on and replaced it with a nice pair of skinny jeans, a pretty cream sweater and my chestnut UGGS. I put on some gold hoops, lotioned up, slid some lip gloss across my lips, sprayed some Total Attraction by Victoria Secret perfume on me, and headed at the door. I sent Kai a text message telling her that I was officially headed her way.

I'm here

Kai

Go ahead and take a seat inside the gym. I'm wrapping one of the basketball players ankle. He came in at the last minute. I'll try to be as quick as possible.

I told her that it was fine. I took a deep breath before I opened the door to the gym. I could hear the screech of basketball shoes sliding across the floor. Nine times out of ten it's gonna be Skylar dominating the floor.

I collected myself, opened the door and made a beeline straight for the bleachers. I sat down and tuned into the game being played. It was a simple two on two game.

Like I expected, Skylar was on the court. But what I didn't expect was to see him shirtless.

His body had me needing a cup of water because my thirst was extremely real. His abs...his tattoos...the sweat dripping. It had me squirming in my seat.

I tried to keep my eyes off of him but I couldn't. I unconsciously licked my lips as I watched him. The game ended and I watched as Skylar walked in my direction.

"What's up, Sanai?" He greeted me when he got close.

"Nothing much. Just waiting on Kai." I answered, nervously tucking my hair behind my ear.

He took a seat right next to me.

"You smell good." He said, sniffing me.

"Ewww back up!" I giggled. "You all sweaty and stuff."

"You know you like it." He said, licking his lips.

"Boy if you don't go somewhere." I said, waving him off.

"When you gon' kick it with me?" He asked seriously.

"I gotta find time in my schedule." I joked.

"Is that right? Ok I see you." He replied with a nod of his head.

I just looked at him in his eyes.

"Gimme a hug. I'm finna roll out." He said.

I obliged his request. Even though he was all sweaty and stuff I didn't want to break from his embrace.

"Imma text you later." He said as he jogged down the stairs of the bleachers.

All throughout dinner I couldn't help but think about Skylar. He definitely made me feel some type of way.

"Girl what's on your mind?" Kai asked me as we waited for dessert to come out.

"Nothing." I answered quickly.

"Sanai we've been roommates for the last three years. You think I'm that stupid?" She asked.

I contemplated if I should tell her or not.

"No I don't. But at times you reads can be incorrect." I said, arching one of my eyebrows.

"Well excuse me." She said.

"You're excused." I said with a giggle.

"Soooooo have you talked to Tanisha lately?" I asked her.

"Naw but I overheard her talking about how much she hates Poppa. I'm like trick get over it. Everybody knows how he's a no good nigga." She said.

Hearing her say those things about Skylar made me feel some type of way. It had me second guessing what I was starting to feel for Skylar.

Do I wanna end up just like Tanisha?