Twenty-Five: Accident

I decided to take my mom and Olivia to the 16 week ultrasound.  We could see what I was having. 

"What do you want?"  Dr. Jones asked.

"Same as in the beginning.  A boy!"

"Well let's take a look."

The screen flicked on and I looked up.  No matter how many times I look at my baby I always get butterflies in my stomach.

"Congrats Miss Green, you're having girls."

"Girls?  Don't you mean a girl?"  I barely whispered.

"Nope, there are definitely two babies in there."

"How haven't you noticed this!?" 

"Sometimes the babies hide behind each other.

"There aren't any more in there are there?"

She laughed.  "No of course not,"

We left the doctor's office.  Twins?  Girls?  I guess my idea of a bouncing baby boy was wrong.  Apparently, it would be two little girls.  Oh my gosh.  Two more girls like me.  

"Who is throwing your shower?"  My mom asked

"I think Nancy was going to do it with Olivia,"

"Oh well I would love to contribute in any way I can."

Olivia smiled at her.  "I think we can fine some stuff to keep ya busy.  Because apparently we have double the planning to do!  I have to call Nancy!"

She called Nancy and they already started planning the shower.  A little early.  Olivia told me they wanted to have it in October or November.

I rushed home to tell Drake the news!

"Drake, Drake, Drake!"

"What?  Is the baby ok?"

"The babies are fine!"

"Wait, did you say babies?  As in two?"

"Yes!  We are having TWO BABY GIRLS!"  I squealed.  I'm allowed to be excited!  I left Drake sitting on the couch so I could start calling people.  I made sure to call Ethan first.  He'd have a cow if I didn't tell him first.  He was in utter shock when I told him it was twin girls!

I then called my godparents, aunts, uncles, grandmother, dad, and cousins.  I called everyone I knew and sent out a massive text.  I was oozing with excitement.

That night I dreamed of two, beautiful, and perfect baby girls. 

I woke up to the smell of cinnamon cooking.  This pregnancy has made my sense of smell more acute too.  Drake was cooking for me.  We ate and planned our day of shopping out. 

My phone started going off I almost jumped out of my chair to get it.

"Hello?"  I answered.  The number was unknown but one in our area code.

"May I speak to a Miss Danielle Greene?"

"That's me,"

"I'm sorry to inform you your mother has been in an accident and was admitted to Lakeside Hospital."

"Is she alright?"  I asked my throat thick.

"I cannot disclose any information over the phone."

"I'll be there soon."  I said and hung up.

Drake was at my side instantly.  "My mom was in an accident.  We have to get to the hospital."

"I'll drive," He said.

I was dressed and jumped into Drake's car.  He almost sped to the hospital, mostly because I kept yelling at him to go faster. 

I ran to the front desk.  "I need to see my mother!  Her name is Rachel Grayson!  "I demanded.

The nurse called her doctor to come talk to me.  Apparently, Chris, his kids and the twins were in the car with her.  Chris only had a few cuts on his head.  Natalie had a broken arm; her whole arm from the shoulder down was in a cast.  Her lip also was busted and her cheek got a cut.  Nathan had a deep gash on his forehead from where the glass shattered, plus his leg was broken from the impact of the other two vehicles.  I ran to the room where Natalie and Nathan were.  "Are y'all ok?"  I asked.

"I'm fine!"  Natalie said.

"My head hurts," Nathan complained.

"I'm sure it does baby boy.  The doctors said you must have hit it pretty hard."

"Miss Green?"  A deep voice asked from behind me.

I turned around to see Dr.  Ray.  "Yes?"

"If you want to see your mother now you can.  She's stable."  He lead me to the room where she was.  "She lost a lot of blood in the accident, after we managed to stabilize her she slipped into a coma."

"Can she hear me?" 

"I believe she can."

He left me to be alone with her.  "I'm so sorry.  I know I wasn't the best daughter.  I mean obviously a good daughter wouldn’t have gotten pregnant at 16, or lied to you, or treated you the way I did.  I wish I could take the mean words I told you back I would mom I really would.  Just don't die.  I need you in my life.  I just got you back.  Please don't leave me.  Not like this.  The twins need you too," I sobbed.

I sat on the edge of her bed watching her for what seemed like hours when the doctor came in.  "Miss Green?  Natalie will be ready to go home tomorrow; we can release her to you since you are the only living relative in state.  We'll let you know how your mother is doing."

"I'll stay the night with her.  I don't want to leave honestly."

Drake walked in.  "You ready to go?"

"Nah, I'm staying the night.  The twins will come home with us tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll see you later then."