Chapter 10

It was a two weeks before the big game, Homecoming game, and everyone was busy. Even busier then the game versus Riche.

Mother was trying to get me to go shopping with her for Homecoming stuff, but I wasn't even sure I was able to go. So far I had already been suspended once and had at least three detentions (the only reason I hadn't had more was because the Vice Principal had called them off because Ms. Davis has a tendency to give students detentions for really stupid stuff), so it wouldn't exactly be surprising if I couldn't go.

      On Monday, I had to look on the daily bulletin board in the front office where all the news is and stuff. Believe it or not, I was eligible, and that surprised me. Figuring I didn't want to question it, I didn't ask why I was, but I still checked daily in case they had changed it.

When I told Ame that I could go, she and Rhythm were excited. Ame because I had never been to this school's dance, and Rhythm because she can now drag both Ame and I to go shopping on Saturday.

      When Saturday rolled around, I tried to tell Rhythm that I didn't like to go shopping and I could probably just throw something on at the last minute, but she was relentless. It didn't help that mom was on her side, too. In the end, I ended up going with Rhythm. I had to get picked up by Rhythm's parents because mom had to go to Base again. Something about a possible Kaiju sighting that they think might be dad. 

Anyways, so Ame, Rhythm and I had been dropped off at the mall (it wasn't really much of one, but at least it was decently sized) and in no time flat, Rhythm wanted to get going as soon as possible. Ame and I hadn't had breakfast yet, though, so when we walked in, our first thoughts were of food.

      "Why didn't you guys eat at home?" Rhythm asked. I swallowed a bite of some pasta. "Because we ran out of microwavable stuff and I can't cook for shit." I said truthfully. Shameful as it is, the best I could do was boil some veggies, and even that is questionable. "I did eat, just wasn't enough." Ame said, taking a bite from really sad looking sandwich.

After Ame and I were done eating, the first place Rhythm took us to was a fancy dress store. Immediately, my half Kaiju eyes were practically murdered by the shiny bits and pieces on the dresses. I had to close my eyes for a few seconds before they adjusted completely. I cautiously opened them, and I was relieved that I wasn't blinded. "You okay?" Ame whispered. I nodded, and we followed Rhythm, who was enthralled by this teal dress that perfectly matched her hair.

      "Guys, what do you think? You think it'll fit me?" Rhythm asked, looking over the dress a few times. I looked it over with her, and by accident, I had figured out something my eyes definitely couldn't do before. Usually, my eyesight is really good by itself, but I figured out that if I focused on a particular spot, my vision actually zoomed in, which was extremely trippy, but useful. "Maybe, but it might be too big." I noted. Rhythm shrugged. "I'll try it on, just in case. It might look too big now, but it might actually fit once it's on." Rhythm said, putting the dress in our cart.

After about an hour and a half of just dress shopping, the three of us finally found a dress. The majority of that time was actually spent on me, since I'm the tallest and most dresses don't fit a 5' 11" teenage girl. I was actually tempted to just buy a tux instead, but Rhythm was not gonna have it. She was so determined to get me a dress, that she actually asked a cashier if we could look at the dresses in the back. At first, the lady asked us why we wanted to look in the back, but as soon as she saw me, she immediately understood. "Follow me." She said, unlocking a door and walking inside.

      When we got inside, it amazed me to see how many dresses there were all inside one small space. It was kind of like a walk in closet. "I'll let you girls have your fun." The cashier lady said before walking back out the door and closing it behind her, leaving the three of us alone. As a kind of silent agreement, we all separated and started looking.